Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Best Plants for 20 Gallon Axolotl Tank?

Emperor

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking to cycle a 20 gallon tank for my juvie (he's currently in 10 gallon but he'll need an upgrade eventually) and I'm looking for live plants to put in for him that look nice and help the water levels!

Some things I'm looking for!
1. Grows well in low lighting
2. Grows well with sand substrate
3. Work well in colder water (I'm typically always between 63-68 F)
4. (Optional) Easy and cheap to get!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'll link you the reference page I always refer to. https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml
Java fern is the easiest and you can just tie it to decorations. Axolotls can, and a lot of them do, uproot plants from the substrate so watch out for that if you plant any!
Also just make sure the juvenile doesn't go in a sand bottomed tank until it is at least 5 inches long :)

Wildcard

Reaction score
I run a low light, low-tech twenty gallon long tank at the moment. My tank: P.H 7.6, Temperature: 68-70. I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand with 20/40 grit as my substrate, it has pretty much no nutrients in it. I keep red cherry shrimp in the tank until I get an axolotl. The only nutrients the plants received are either from the tap water or from shrimp waste. The plants I've had so far have done very well and I haven't lost any plants so far. The link Hayley posted is extremely helpful for more information. Plants I've personally found to do good in the conditions described:
Java Moss(Vesicularia dubyana)
Banana Plant(Nymphoides aquatica)
Cryptocorynes(Cryptocoryne parva)
Moneywort(Bacopa monnieri)
Dwarf Hygro(Hygrophila polysperma)
Hornwort(Ceratophyllum demersum).

Emperor

Reaction score
I'll link you the reference page I always refer to. https://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Aquascape.shtml
Java fern is the easiest and you can just tie it to decorations. Axolotls can, and a lot of them do, uproot plants from the substrate so watch out for that if you plant any!
Also just make sure the juvenile doesn't go in a sand bottomed tank until it is at least 5 inches long :)

Yep! My little guy is around 5-5 1/2 inches long and I always feed him in a little patch without any sand just in case. I plan on moving him to the 20 gallon pretty soon after it's cycled and prepped with decor. Thanks so much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1