Question: Please Help i have had my axolotl's for 8 hours and i have eggs???

broadbent30

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,

i got some axolotl's today about 8 hours ago to tell you the truth and now i have a lot of eggs?
i dont know any thing about how to deal with it or how to raise them or any thing???

i am reading though the other forms trying to work this out but 8 hours is so little time?

what can i do?

http://axolotl.org/rearing.htm

Read this link very carefully several times and you'll know almost everything you'll need to know and if you have questions they can be asked here. Good luck with them.

Alternately, you could do nothing, leave the eggs in the tank, and the parents will 'dispose' of them.

If you just got the axolotls, you may want to let these eggs be eaten by the parent(s). You will probably need some time to get used to being an axolotl keeper in the first place, get to know your pets. Raising larvae is a lot of work and not completely uncomplicated, so that it might be wise to wait until you have some experience under your belt before attempting it.

Either way, good luck to you.

-Eva

If you're dedicated enough, and have the resources it can be pretty simple.

Just get ahold of some brine shrimp eggs. The number and size of larvae you are feeding will tell you how many of them to hatch. They hatch in 24-48 hours depending on temperature. Feed the freshly hatched brine shrimp to the larvae daily and a few hours after feeding them do a full water change. You can do the water changes at first by sucking all of the larvae into a turkey baster and placing them in clean aged water. Do this every day until they're about 2.5-3.5 cm long and then gradually switch them to frozen thawed bloodworms. Once they reach about 5 cm they should gladly switch to a nutrient rich carnivorous fish pellet diet (I use Aquamax trout chow). It might also help to raise only a few dozen for the first time.

Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back