inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
A brief introduction to my latest project :eek:

Yet to hatch (approximately 11 days)
- In this photo you can see one dud egg.
caudata1.png

Free from the egg shell (approximately 3 weeks old)
- Babies have moved on from BBS to finely chopped blackworm.
caudata2-1.png

I have a question just out of interest, do you think the babies would enjoy a little cup to hide in? Or some plants maybe? :frog:​

Aww they're lovely Stef! It's considerably easier to just keep them without decoration purely for the sake of water changes. What genotype are the parents?

Oh Stef how sweet!

Those bloodworms look almost as big as the larvae - are they eating those alright?

-Eva

Oh Stef how sweet!

Those bloodworms look almost as big as the larvae - are they eating those alright?

-Eva

Yeah, I was wondering the same. Mine are about that size too. Do yours have front legs? Mine do and if I want to feed them bloodworms, I have have to wiggle half of a bloodworm in front of their faces before they snap at it :confused:

I have a question just out of interest, do you think the babies would enjoy a little cup to hide in? Or some plants maybe? :frog:​

Your Axol'ittles look great!!! Can't wait until mine spawn again. It's getting cooler; so hoping for some spawn within the next few months!!!

In answer to your question; I'd stick some plants in - personally I use pond weed, I think it helps keep the water quality and "food" tends to hitch a ride and live on the plants :)
Also, plants will give them a little shade.

I wouldn't bother with anything else while they're this big.

Thanks :) Yeah the worms are all in different sizes, the bigger axol'ittles (this is a trend now) will eat the larger worms and the smaller ones will eat the smaller worms :) Some of them have their front legs, yes :)

I don't know. The eggs were from a petstore that had three males (albino, golden albino and wildtype) as well as two females (golden albino and wildtype) so I don't know how they will turn out.

(albino, golden albino and wildtype)
In axolotls, "golden albino" is "albino" - in order for an albino to be white instead of golden, the animal must have other abnormal genes than just ablinism. So white albino means either leucistic or melanistic, in combination with albinism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back