Hatchling Eats Sand

virago

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can see some white sand in their bellies. Hope they pass it through digestion. I start them on brine shrimp tomorrow. Can you tell me if sand is a problem for hatchlings?

It should pass through fine. I don't like having my hatchlings in sand because brine shrimp are small and would just litter the bottom and alter the pH and salinity. It's much easier to have a bare bottom tank, at least until you can move them on to bloodworms.

Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.

Do you think I should move them into tubs and then remove the white sand and then put them back? I thought about doing this but worried about the stress.

I personally would, but that's just my preference. You could use a container to scoop them up. If they are small enough you can use a straw (hold the straw top, dip in water near axolotl from behind release top of straw to sunction and then hold the top and transfer). If you're quick they'll be back to lounging stress-free in no time!

For axoltols under 4-6 inches, it is recommended to keep them in bare tanks because they are little hoovers and will suck up anything around them.

If youre Axolotls are still small, just use little big stones. If you make 2-3 islands, you can feed them between the islands, and the islands give nice decoration. This is how I made my tank. On the islands I placed some plants. I blocked my filter, so that it only spits water out into the air, so that there is not too much movement in the water.

Thanks everybody. I moved them into a tub and fed them brine shrimp. I can see them moving the sand through and expelling it. I'm cleaning their tank of the sand and restarting it. I use a bubble disc secured with a suction cup. The over the side filter has cheesecloth around intake holes and fake plants to disrupt water flow. It will be bare glass until they are a bit older/bigger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back