Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A video of my Axy.

inkozana

Reaction score
Your feeding method looks very messy, have you tried other foods like salmon pellets or earthworms?
When I fed my axolotls on bloodworms/blackworms I moved them into a seperate feeding container so that their tank water didn't fill up with dead worms.

Shadow

Reaction score
Well thiswas my second time feeding it bloodworms. Over the past couple of days I've been feeding hem/her feeze-dried tubifex worms but I know they are not as good as live or frozen but it was easier. I think may try an earthworm with it soon though.

Dont worry I collected all the run away worms and gave them as an extra treat to my Dwarf frogs.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Your axie is lovely Shadow :)

Your feeding method looks very messy, have you tried other foods like salmon pellets or earthworms?
When I fed my axolotls on bloodworms/blackworms I moved them into a seperate feeding container so that their tank water didn't fill up with dead worms.

I use bloodworms occasionally as food. The mess is no big deal I find as my axie hoovers the runaway worms from the sand. Any that remain, are easily removed with a turkey baster. There aren't usually leftovers though! ;)

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Shadow, like Sarah said your axolotl will soon find any stray worms, they sniff them out pretty easily. You will find feeding earthworms great fun. They sometimes suck them up like spaghetti. My 2 year old son loves to help me dig them up from our wormery, wash them off and then throw them in the tank in front of our axolotl. He screams with delight when she catches them lol.

Shadow

Reaction score
Yeah I had fed her an Earthworm earlier lol. I decided to halve it, even though it made no difference and she gobbled them both up. I just hope she isn't stressed because at the moment, her gills are sticking forward.

Any tips on un-stressing her?

inkozana

Reaction score
I suppose you can only help them to de-stress, you can't do anything directly.
I used to check the water levels to make sure everything is okay, and turn off the filter for a few hours each day incase it was the water flow.

Shadow

Reaction score
Okay, So I put these vids on youtube and one comment on both from the same person. On the feeding one, he posted that Axolotls hate to be alone, and as much as I would like to get her a partner I can't because of the tank size.

On the other video of her, he posted saying the tank looks to hot? I don't get it? You can't tell from a video. I will reply on here with his answer when I get one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1