Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails Compatible with CFB?

TLaw

Reaction score
So I wanted to add a bit of diversity to my C. orientalis' tank, so I was thinking of adding some live plants, possibly devil's ivy and maybe some java moss. Are these good choices?

Anyway, I heard somewhere, I think, that mystery snails can be good with newts. Is this true? I heard they would be good at helping to clean the place up a bit. I've got a 10 gallon tank, so how many snails would be good to have? One or more?

oregon newt

Reaction score
Those plants sound like good choices. I'm not sure exactly how many mystery snails you could put in there, but I know that one needs at least 5 gallons.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Like Will said the plant selection sounds good. As far as the "mystery snails" go if they are small (like pond snails) they should be fine.

If they are big snails they could smother the newts. I have heard this happen so just be careful.

I have had small pond snails with my newts for months with no ill effects. They do a good job cleaning the algae but mine seem to overpopulate the tank and need constant "up keep".

Mitch

TLaw

Reaction score
What kind of upkeep do snails require? I don't really know much about them. I thought you just stick them in and they vacuum up the place.

Nphec

Reaction score
Lol so theyre actually called mystery snails? Haha they were a mystery when they first sprouted up in my tank seeing as I had no idea where they came from. And yeah they do seem to reproducing at a good rate every time I look i see more and more. Anyone know the actual name for some of these little snails? They're real small, I wish I could take a pic but theyre almost too small to focus in on.

gpd414

Reaction score
Just don't put the snails in with paddletail newts. I just moved my paddletails in a new aquarium that had several red apple snails. Within 5 minutes of them being in, I watched one paddletail break open a snail shell and eat the snail. They have been going nuts for these things. I put some trumpet snails in also and the paddletails love them.

spendday

Reaction score
I have a golden apple snail in with my chinese fire belly newts and i've never had any problems, I have had people repeatedly telling me snail carry parasites though so it might not be such a good idea

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Apple or mystery snails are Ampullariidae (click here or here). I like them because they are pretty and active and good cleaners. With an adequate food suppy, they also grow very quickly. One or two should be enough for a 10-gallon tank, even if they start out small.

As to parasites, snails (and slugs) do not pass parasites onto their offspring and so should be fine if taken from an aquarium (store). Wild caught snails would be more of an issue.

-Eva

natureneil

Reaction score
The debate over snails has been ranging ever hotter the last few months especially with more exotic and interesting species entering shops.
On the whole they are harmless although some people find them irritating as some species will reproduce prolifically in an aquarium. whilst others will eat all of you plants without supplementary foods. There is a detailed discussion of the pros and cons of snails on www.bombina.co.uk
But in my opinion you cant go wrong with the malaysian sand snails in any aquatic or semi aquatic setup as the prevent substrate compaction, don't harm plants and often eat any left over food and waste including bloodworms etc,which can only be a good thing

A

achiinto

I think of snails as good food supply for us to breed for the newts. Flash and Fast breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1