Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tame axy?

zanesmumma

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if its ok to handle my axolotl? I have been holding him every now n then and he seems to be getting used to me (i've only had him for 2 weeks).

Also, is it bad to take them out of the water? I havent done this just curious. How long would they survive out of the water?

Cheers :)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

It is not advised to handle your axies with your bare hands. Diseases can be transmitted from you and vice versa to your axie. Furthermore, axies are soft bodied and have delicate skin. They can be injured and their skin can lose the protective slime layer as a result. The best way to handle an axie is to scoop it up in a container to transfer it.

If you have to absolutely handle the axie such as at the vet's where an injection might be given, your hands should be thoroughly washed and you can actually rub a dechlorinator type product (ie stress coat) on your hands. They can help preserve the protective slime layer and handling the axie will not be as traumatic. Also it would be a good idea to remove watches, rings and other accessories as they can scratch or cause hypersensitivity reactions on the axie.

Axies are fully aquatic and cannot survive on land (unless they morphed). Leaving your axie out in dry land will cause it to dessicate and die. Please don't try this. It would cause a lot of trauma and pain to the axie.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!