Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First time rearing babies. Some spontaneously dying!

beckwan

Reaction score
Hi guys!
A couple of weeks ago my 2 axys laid eggs and they hatched recently. The babies are 2-3 days old and seemed to be doing ok till today.
I noticed 4 of my 45 babies dead and removed them. But the most disturbing thing was when I was watching one of them swim around n disturbing the other guys it suddenly stopped, rolled on its back and died!!! :'( why? The waters clean and they have plenty of daphnia. I expected a few deaths before they get their legs but not like this.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
How often are you cleaning the water? Do you have any aeration?
Are you sure they are eatig? Maybe they just arent eating.
Regardless it is possible they are just dying because of genetics

So sorry its never easy :(

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm doubting that the one you saw swimming just died on the spot. Newly-hatched larvae sometimes lay on their sides.

I would recommend moving the rest of them to a clean container(s). Even with the water being clean, the biofilm on the bottom of the container can kill them.

beckwan

Reaction score
It was definitely dead. I checked.
I do a 50% water change everyday, there's one java fern plant in there and I've watched many of them chase and eat the daphnia. I didn't put an air stone in as I read that it can be too strong for them and stresses them out.
I understand when the weaker ones die but that one in particular was one of the bigger ones.

I don't want my first attempt at raising my babies babies to be a failure especially since this is their third batch of eggs they've laid and the only ones that have actually grown.

Kristen0888

Reaction score
You should really do a 100% water change each day, I personally do 2 100% water changes. When do you scrub out the containers? I do container scrub outs every other day. No plants, no air stone, or anything. I only had the small weaker ones die off in the first week or two, so I assume this method works. lol.

I wish you the best of luck with your little ones!!

beckwan

Reaction score
Ok I'll give that a try. I got some water ready and a spare tank last night for a 100% water change so ill do that every day.
Thanks everyone for your help. Ill let you know how everything goes in the next week. :)

Kerry M

Reaction score
Another tip is to use non iodinised salt (1 part) and bicarbonate soda (2 parts) to scrub out the tubs. Rinse thoroughly. I used to do this daily when mine where larvae.

beckwan

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Ill make sure I do that too, they've been moved to some nice clean water and fresh food and seem fine so far. Got a bit of a dilemma with the food as there's not much left and the place I but from only dispatches on Thursdays so I'm hoping it lasts till I get paid. These babies have cost me an arm and a leg but they're worth it. I love their cute beady little eyes :)

xxianxx

Reaction score
Got a bit of a dilemma with the food as there's not much left and the place I but from only dispatches on Thursdays so I'm hoping it lasts till I get paid. These babies have cost me an arm and a leg but they're worth it. I love their cute beady little eyes :)

Order some brine shrimp eggs off ebay and make your own hatchery, it is a lot cheaper. If you want to culture daphnia you have left it a bit late to feed loads of hatchlings but if you just have a few its worth getting a colony started

beckwan

Reaction score
Thanks :) ill have a look. I got some more daphnia in time so they been enjoying them. They're getting on well now so I'm hoping in a couple of weeks time I can start feeding them frozen daphnia and bloodworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1