Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axolotl Owner- Worried about health

blackkitteycat

Reaction score
Hi, in June I got a 3" axolotl. He's been in a 10 gallon tank(I have a 20gal in the garage for when he needs it) The water temperature is 65-67 degrees, ammonia is at 0, the tank has been cycled for 2-3 months now and was cycled before I got him. He's on a sand substrate and has live plants and a hideout(as well as some other decor- driftwood/rocks).
I'm a bit worried about him. He spends a lot of the day floating at the surface. He also doesn't seem to want to eat. I've offered pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and live bloodworms. I haven't tried earthworms yet because he's still pretty small, but if you think I should try it I will. I've tried feeding him in a separate container and his tank, but most of the time he just ignores the food. I'm not new to fishkeeping(had saltwater/fresh for 6-7 years), i'm just new to axolotls. I'm really worried about him! Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

Caesar

Reaction score
Hi, in June I got a 3" axolotl. He's been in a 10 gallon tank(I have a 20gal in the garage for when he needs it) The water temperature is 65-67 degrees, ammonia is at 0, the tank has been cycled for 2-3 months now and was cycled before I got him. He's on a sand substrate and has live plants and a hideout(as well as some other decor- driftwood/rocks).
I'm a bit worried about him. He spends a lot of the day floating at the surface. He also doesn't seem to want to eat. I've offered pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and live bloodworms. I haven't tried earthworms yet because he's still pretty small, but if you think I should try it I will. I've tried feeding him in a separate container and his tank, but most of the time he just ignores the food. I'm not new to fishkeeping(had saltwater/fresh for 6-7 years), i'm just new to axolotls. I'm really worried about him! Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

When my axolotl was little, he spent a lot of time at the top of the tank too. Half the time I thought he was dead because he just floats there. Axolotls have unpredictable behavior though, unless he shows real signs of sickness such as a bloat, slime on exterior, etc. I think he is fine!
You can try earthworms cut into pieces no bigger than the length of his head if you would like. How long has it been since he hasn't eaten?

Caesar

Reaction score
Probably about 2 weeks. I'll try the earthworms and see how that goes!

Okay hopefully he eats. I found this on Axolotls - Frequently Asked Questions :
"Well fed axolotls can usually go without eating for up to 3 weeks and suffer no long term effects, provided the water temperature isn't over 60F."
If he doesn't start eating soon try force feeding or seek medical care. or maybe someone else on this site can help you, posting pictures would help us.

(only for adult axolotls=)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...olotl/70199-how-force-feed-adult-axolotl.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!