Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Thoughts on best plants?

axydad

Reaction score
I have a java fern and crested fern which are not doing great (I think they require more light than I want to provide). Also, have anacharis which is doing OK. Would like to add some taller plants. I use sand substrate but plants I have say not to bury the roots. Also, what is the best way to hold the plants down? Thank you.

Roy

Reaction score
Hi. I found in Vallisneria an excelent and sturdy plant, wich can grow quick, tall and provides a good place to hide. My Axolotl loves to rest into vallisneria leaves...... but this plant needs to be planted (the sand is a good substrate for vallisneria). A very good option is Elodea (Egleria densa) wich can absorb nutrients directly from water witout roots. It grows tall and quck an don' need too much light... you can attach some elodea stems in a rock to keep them in the bottom of the tank. Atl last. you can attach java fern, java moss and anubias in driftwood, wich transform a simple piece of wood in a beauty piece of aquascaping. I hope you find this helpful

Roy

Reaction score
Hi. I found in Vallisneria an excelent and sturdy plant, wich can grow quick, tall and provides a good place to hide. My Axolotl loves to rest into vallisneria leaves...... but this plant needs to be planted (the sand is a good substrate for vallisneria). A very good option is Elodea (Egleria densa) wich can absorb nutrients directly from water witout roots. It grows tall and quck an don' need too much light... you can attach some elodea stems in a rock to keep them in the bottom of the tank. Atl last. you can attach java fern, java moss and anubias in driftwood, wich transform a simple piece of wood in a beauty piece of aquascaping. I hope you find this helpful

I´m Sorry I didn't read that you already have Elodea (or Anacharis). Anyway, there is two good choices that you can keep them in the bottom of the tank. You can attach several stems in a small rock (I uses 4 or 5 steems of variable lenght in a 2 inch rock) with a rubber band or simply tie up many stems (up to 10) together with rubber band.

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
Hello,

Basically most of the so called "low light" plants will work fine.

Few examples some already mentioned above:

Anubias ( many kinds from nana petite up to the bigger kinds, can be attached to wood or stones
Crypts - mostly low light and can add some color some are dark green some are redish,
-Mosses most of the mosses will do just fine low light setup, also you can super glue them to rocks and wood.
-Java fern, amazon swords,marimo balls etc :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!