Axolotl is bloated, reddish, and now floating on his side/upside down

Smdee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Staci
Hey all. I have two 6 year old axolotls. Quetzel has never been the healthiest, but lately he's gone downhill and I dont know why.

Yesterday I noticed he was rather bloated and possibly constipated. When I moved him, he looked really red (he is a leuistic). I took him out of the tank and transferred him to a small container with cold water. It seemed to help, and he passed some feces. I changed his water again this morning and when I got home he was still bloated but seemed ok. Just now i saw him upside down. I quickly checked to make sure he was alive and he is. I don't know what to do except keep him cool. His cloaca seems really swollen too. I'm scared to lose him :(

I'm also very worried because I'm leaving Saturday for a conference. It's not something I can get out of and I don't know anyone with experience taking care of axolotls or any salamanders. It'd be nice if someone could take him and watch him/fridge him if necessary...but I don't know anyone like that

Can you attach some pictures and ammonia/nitrite/nitrate results?
How long are you away for?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back