Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Misc intro

Phylogeny

Reaction score
Intro.

Hello to site owners, admins, mods, members and fellow enthusiasts.

Hi. I’m Steve from the phylogenyexplorerproject.org

I have a few points which may need separating and re-locating, but I’ll start by making it my intro, and feel free to advice/comment.

Axolotls.

I wonder if anyone keeps fully metamorphosed Axolotls, likely in a vivarium? Was this a choice? Most keepers seem to prefer the fully aquatic larval versions. If so, was it as a (deliberate orv accidental) result of breeding or was it bought/obtained that way? Was it induced to transform, e.g. with hormone injections or a rich iodine diet? Does anyone have a picture(s) or footage of a fully metamorphosed individual? Can you confirm that it is not another genus member, like a tiger salamander? How long has anyone had an example live in either state?

Linda Adkins.

Axolotls are a favourite animal of mine, but I don’t know too much about them. My primary interest is their taxonomy (I’m not a breeder or owner). Does anyone have a book by Linda Adkins, called, ‘Keeping Axolotls’? She thinks they are Reptiles, which is completely scary and wrong, but the breeding/keeping aspect (despite reptiles having very different physiologies to amphibians) may be fine.

Collaboration.

The project I work on is very keen to invite enthusiasts to help build the tree of life, and if anyone is interested in helping in any capacity, e.g. on amphibians or Caudata. I would be happy to credit you and any additions or images you may care to upload, too. I was impressed by the Axolotl colouration spreadsheet created by one member, too. You may learn too and get the chance to work with experts. I would also be able to link this site on the Website.

Many thanks

Steve
Co-director of the PEP
Steve.owen@phylogenyexplorerproject.com

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like a very interesting site! If you do a search on here on browse the axolotl sub forums, there are many answers and discussions dealing with your questions. Welcome and good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1