Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander diet questions

Frogss

Reaction score
Hello!
I’m getting a tiger salamander soon and I have a few questions on their diet:
•is a staple diet of red wriggles fine if I also provide night crawlers every week or so?
•Is it ok to feed the salamander 2-3 worms twice a week or should I feed more often?
•If the salamander isn’t our to eat, can I just leave the worms in a bowl inside the cage or do I need to hand feed?
•Is it safe to buy worms from Walmart? A Petco I live by sells them but the ones at Walmart are cheaper, of course I want them to be safe though!
•To clarify, it’s not beneficial to supplement the insects with any calcium/multivitamin powder at all?
Thank you so much if you can answer any of these! I just set up the tank today and I should be getting my salamander in the next 1 or 2 weeks :)

JoshBA

Reaction score
1) That should be fine, although in my experience tigers detest the taste of Eisenia and will simply spit them out. But it's worth trying...
2) Yes, that feeding regime sounds alright.
3) If your animal is burrowed in the substrate, I would wait until it's out to feed by hand. Unless they can't escape from the bowl, the worms will simply burrow into the substrate and escape predation. Hand-feeding isn't essential, but it does ensure that the worms are actually eaten.
4) I would go with the cheapest option, which is likely the bait Canadian nightcrawlers, rather than Eisenia worms sold at Petco.
5) It is beneficial, but the dogma seems to indicate that it's unnecessary for nightcrawlers. Definitely wouldn't hurt to do on occasion for a staple food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!