Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl/Salamander? Morph no morph? Advice and opinions please :)

charlieswoofas

Reaction score
Hi all.

Im currently slightly baffeled by my latest rescued axolotl. I seen her weeks ago and she caught my eye. Aged just over 1 she seemed huge and had a gill that branched off from a gill she was just unique.

I went back to get her and she had no gills left and was half the size... still not underweight looking though. I immediately decided Id take her even if she died the next day. I got her home and put her in a bucket to chill. Hoping to get her in with my other axie. It was then I figured I couldnt as she struggled to get up for a breath of water (approx once a min).

I got a hold of a tank and thought Il keep her seperate unless she grows gills and puts on some weight. Its since become more and more likely that shes not an axolotl at all. She looks very odd..

Id had many opinions most agree theres definately something going on with her..
Her eyes are set back in her head and her nostrils arent raised. Iv an airstone and live plants in her tank, Iv got the water levels low and Iv just built up some basking stones to see if she will come out of the water to ease her breathing as she seems to be getting very frustrated and tired having to keep coming up for oxygen.

Any advice/opinions very much appreciated...

Attachments

• gill1.jpg
    gill1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6,391
  • gill2.jpg
    gill2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 7,586

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Commented on your gallery post the other day :happy: I think she definitely is (or was) an axolotl and she is one of the very few cases of morphing we get over here! If you haven't already, just have a search on google images - "morphing axolotl". There are so many sources to make comparisons. If not, I really have no idea what's going on as she doesn't appear to me to be another species. You seem to be doing all that can be done through the stages of metamorphosis.

CJ1981

Reaction score
She almost looks like a lizard with an Axolotl tail doesn't she?

She does look a bit morphed but her jaw is an unusual shape :confused:.

I hope someone with more experience of Morph's etc can help you, it sounds like you have all eventualities covered in the mean time though.

Keep us posted on her progress.

charlieswoofas

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yep I actually described her as a lizardy axolotl the other day she doesnt look like neither. She has started growing back a gill.. Time will tell i guess I just hope I manage to keep her going the poor soul.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
She almost looks like a lizard with an Axolotl tail doesn't she?

She does look a bit morphed but her jaw is an unusual shape :confused:.

I hope someone with more experience of Morph's etc can help you, it sounds like you have all eventualities covered in the mean time though.

Keep us posted on her progress.

I think it depends on the individual specimen with regards to the jawline - I've seen some with "barely there" jawlines, then others which protrude greatly. I suppose the transition could have something to do with it or weight but she looks nice and chunky. Don't quote me though! When it comes to metamorphosis I know little. It's a good sign if there seems to be some gill growth though. I think we'll have to wait it out with this little one.

kiathepooch

Reaction score
I have no idea if she's an axolotl morphing or not but she looks amazing. I would just make sure she has access to some land,if she is indeed going to morph x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

FX1C

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yep I actually described her as a lizardy axolotl the other day she doesnt look like neither. She has started growing back a gill.. Time will tell i guess I just hope I manage to keep her going the poor soul.

I think I have my fingers permanently crossed for all the little axolotls on here who are going through tough times.
I just wish they all recovered & lived healthy happy lives.

Your axolotl has a very striking look, having seen a few morphed axolotls here sold as terrestrial salamanders & they didn't look like your girl at all. I'm no help but I do hope she continues to recover in your good care :)

<3 >o_o< <3

esn

Reaction score
The gills may be receding, but that does not look like a morph to me. I have an axolotl halfway through a morph, and The differences are dramatic. If he is morphing you would see changes in the eyes and tail as well- height would decrease, and the eyes would begin to protrude from the head.

If the gills are growing back, don't worry. Gills are sensitive to chemical issues, but yours does not look like its suffering from morphological changes to me.

tigmades

Reaction score
I cant' recall where, but I read that the jaws of axolotls that participate in cannibalism grow differently than those that do not. Genetic-wise I think that's pretty cool - if you're out and the wild and there's plenty of X, grow Y so you can eat them better. If Z, then grow A so you can eat those better!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1