Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So sad,,,

Joep

Reaction score
Europe has a bann on gmo.gfp animals,are we gonna eat them??get sick looking at them??
USA is closed 4 any trade on amphybians,because off Bsal etc!!
this could be avoid!!a simple healthcheck from a vet should do the trick!!
please inform??
remember the underground railroad!!this helped the coloured comunity beeing freeyed from slavery!!id love 2 get my hands on a gmo/gfp axo!!

Blackbun

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone would want to eat them but let's think of it not in terms of "the human race" and commercial exploitation on a factory conveyor belt where a dead animal is lost collateral and its loss is priced into the investment, but in terms of what's in the animal's best interest.
Genetic manipulation can be wonderful in helping cure diseases, understanding medicine and improving quality of life but side effects can cause issues including arthrosclerosis.
This is a massive ball game with opinions diverse and varied. But what ultimately was the decision to produce a fluorescent newt and who made that decision? I suspect someone who has never kept animals before but they're good at spotting an investment opportunity which doesn't require any morals. .
Fluorescent newts! Do we keep them and learn from them to understand their natural history which allows us to help ensure their survival in the wild by understanding life histories and making informed decisions on habitat loss and preservation etc or because they match the curtains?

dutch guy

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of this ****, when I worked at an Import/export company/ wholesale, of freshwaterfish and amphibians. They sold "punky's", Glass fishes who where painted with fluorisend paint

Tylototriton Shanjing 3,5,19

Blackbun

Reaction score
Bright fluorescent newts will catch the eye. Maybe the eyes of a new hobbyist but also the sinister eyes of the ill informed animal rights people and then you'll see the mother of all bans and legislation and you can kiss good bye to this forum because it'll not be needed any more. As a herpatogisyt I have a responsibility not just to my animals but every single newt, frog, salamander in every pond, stream and bayou because ultimately my behaviour will find its way into public opinion where it will judge the hobby as a whole and not just me.

Niels D

Reaction score
because ultimately my behaviour will find its way into public opinion where it will judge the hobby as a whole and not just me.

That's why it's not only you who's taking a risk, when you do something ilegal, like sending newts or salamanders with the mail to The Netherlands. If an interception ends up in the papers, the anty lobby will have some more ammo to throw at us. See the bigger picture for the sake of all who love this hobby.

Joep

Reaction score
thank U all for reply!!
there are some wise words there!!
Mind U,this is a petclass!!so all new variations can help our beloved hobby!!
they can be ambassadors!!until now it is not an invasive species!!
Europe is floodet with potential invaders!!snappingturtles,gardnersnakes,far eastern newts etc!!
europe has a positive-list now,with lots of mistakes,
in the mean time,Madagascar is robbed empty!!
until now,i did not hear any downside for keeping gmo/gfp newts,,,,

Niels D

Reaction score
There is no down side regarding to the health of the animals, but if we keep them it can be used against us. These animals are abominations in many people's eyes, and the fact that we hobbyists want them will be portrayed as blasphemy against mother nature. I think it's best to keep our hands of them, so we don't get another weak spot. We have enough already.

Joep

Reaction score
again,thxs 4 all wise reply!!
but,,, gmo/gfp is around!!,only europe has a bann on it!!why??
the world is changing,30 years ago,i could not sleep,because of the sound of frogs,,new sewers kills them now,legall??
public opinion??wtf?
of course we should be ware of nvasive spcies!!but gmo is just in the pettrade!!

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I think its crazy i have never seen one or heard of it, but i have see a glowing worms for bait on ebay :evil: I'm going to make a group of fluorescent people and send them into space so they can direct traffic, its not pointless it's very important:ufo:

auntiejude

Reaction score
But the law isn't there just to frustrate caudate keepers!
The GMO laws are tightly regulated to prevent the escape of GMOs into the wider environment. It was originally meant to control GMO crops and micro-organisms.
Can you imagine what might be created if science was left to run free with GMO techniques? Forget hybrids and GMO crops, we'd end up with some very strange plants and animals.
GFP axies were originally animals that were experimented on to study regrowth and regeneration patterns to further medical science, they weren't made for the amusement of the pet trade.

dutch guy

Reaction score
But the law isn't there just to frustrate caudate keepers!
The GMO laws are tightly regulated to prevent the escape of GMOs into the wider environment. It was originally meant to control GMO crops and micro-organisms.
Can you imagine what might be created if science was left to run free with GMO techniques? Forget hybrids and GMO crops, we'd end up with some very strange plants and animals.
GFP axies were originally animals that were experimented on to study regrowth and regeneration patterns to further medical science, they weren't made for the amusement of the pet trade.
I don't understand why People only want the lab missmatch sorth's of animals while there Are so many beautyfull Abistoma mexicanum as IT is.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

Blackbun

Reaction score
Some people have a desire to collect things. I have a friend who keeps Pekin bantams. Every available colour and he will travel miles and pay over the odds to get a new colour. It used to be koi but then he'd run that one out. At first, I reckon the interest was the animal but after a while the 'need' to complete the collection clicks in. If there's something new to be had, then there will be those who see an opportunity to make a sale and all the better if two or more people want it. I'm not sure if the welfare of the animal comes first with this circling opportunist. ???????

ellenc

Reaction score
I am amazed that there is a vendor selling GFP and other fluorescent axolotls at our local recurring "Reptile" show on a regular basis. I have to fill out an insane amount of paperwork just to keep them in my lab. Only ambystomatid salamanders can be shipped across US state lines these days, so the axolotls get increasingly more exotic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!