Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starting an axolotl tank!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Hello all! I have started my axolotl tank and was was looking for feedback on how it looks plus a few care tips for axies. I’ve done my research but thought you guys would know best! I have a 20 high tank with a HOB put on low output and then have two pipes inside with a feeding dish. The tank varies from 65-68 degrees Fahrenheit. Now is this enough room for one or two, bc I have many sources saying 2 could even fit in a 10 gallon, but that seems extreme. Here’s the set up:

Attachments

• 322C6265-7180-40DD-AB21-57AC0EEA8DB0.jpg
    322C6265-7180-40DD-AB21-57AC0EEA8DB0.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 153
  • EB252141-622E-4072-915A-FA03FCD37287.jpg
    EB252141-622E-4072-915A-FA03FCD37287.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 121

ShrimpShepherd

Reaction score
That looks like a good setup, plus your temperature is making me jealous. I'm able to get it to go down to around 72 at the lowest in our summer. As for the tank, if possible, a 20 gallon long would have been better than the high. I'm not sure much about axolotls, but my cichlids enjoy a longer effective space than a tall tank. But for a 20, I hear that my be almost slightly tight for 2 Axolotl's since yours isn't a long. Otherwise, looks great!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I would say only one axolotl in yours, only because it's high rather than long. Axies need more floorspace than height :) You can increase the floorspace by adding shelves (stuck with something like suction cups). The good thing is axolotls don't really get lonely so there's no issue with only one!
The hides are great and the dish a perfect idea for feeding. You could add some silk plants to give it some more life :)

Aztecx

Reaction score
I would say that a 20 high is only big enough for a juvenile, just because it doesn't have a lot of floor space, but that is just my opinion. I am still a beginner after all ;)
Your setup looks great. Your future axie should be very happy in there. :happy:

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
That looks like a good setup, plus your temperature is making me jealous. I'm able to get it to go down to around 72 at the lowest in our summer. As for the tank, if possible, a 20 gallon long would have been better than the high. I'm not sure much about axolotls, but my cichlids enjoy a longer effective space than a tall tank. But for a 20, I hear that my be almost slightly tight for 2 Axolotl's since yours isn't a long. Otherwise, looks great!

I wish I could’ve went with the 20 long but all I had was the 20 high from a previous set up. I’m still trying to see if anyone hs tried it and what their thought was about doing it and how it worked out . but thanks for the feedback!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!