Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl 2

teres

Reaction score
I am close to getting a baby axoltol from my sons school however these are only about 1 1/2 cms long at the moment i have a 2ft x 1ft x 15" tank at what size should i put the axoltol in here i'm not sure if i should put it in a smaller tank first or wether i can put it straight into this tank. The tank has been set up and cycled so it is all ready.
Any advise would be welcome

jeangenie149

Reaction score
Re: Baby axoltol 2

How was they baby kept at school? Personally I would keep it in a smaller container, ie. even a plastic stacking container from the Cheap shop.. or a small fish tank if you have one already and just use an airline. I would fill with de-cholinated water and 'Aqua Cycle' and leave a week if possible.Then do a complete water change. Try to keep the temperature about 18 degrees celcius. Being in a small tank or container it will be easier for the baby to find and consume Baby Brine Srimp or small Daphnia. When it is about 3 inches (8cm) you could transfer it to the larger tank.As it is still small I would not use a filter until it is an adult as babies can get sucked in. Have you seen the web site www.axoltol.org as you will find all the information on caring, feeding etc. for Axolotls.. Best wishes..Jean

teres

Reaction score

Thanks Jean, i found a plastic tank Capacity - 1.5 Litres
Dimensions: 19 x 12 x 14cm would this be ok :happy:

Reaction score

That should be fine. Just make sure you spot clean frequently and do water changes frequently as well because ammonia can build up more quickly in a smaller area. However, you do want to keep it in the smaller tank until its large enough where impaction from sand won't be a problem(probably a few inches when its able to feed on pellets/worms)

teres

Reaction score
Thank you they are keeping it at school for a while they want to make sure there babies survive ok before giving them to pupils but when i get it i will be sure to keep it in a small tank until its around 3 inches. Thank you for your advise.
Regards
Teres

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!