Raising the temperature?

laursmustdie

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Laurs
Hi

This is my first time rearing lotls, I have 6 wildtype(?) babies, who are about 5/6 weeks old in a tupperware, the temperature is sitting about 15c, is this ok or should I try and raise it a bit and how would I go about doing this if so?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Laura

They'll be fine at 15c. They may eat a little less and grow a little more slowly, but they won't have any physical harm.

Thanks! I dunno if I'm just being over cautious but they do seem a bit small..think they're about 13mm @ 5/6 weeks?

That's a little small, but that's probably a product of being cooler than average. Are they hitting all the benchmarks: developing legs, etc.? That's what's more important.

I raised my larvae cool and it took twice as long as most people describe but they efficiently eat less food and grow slowly to 250mm+, taking somewhat over a year to reach maturity. Water quality and other problems develop more slowly and are easier to spot and reverse. In general I'm a great believer in growing animals towards the lower end ot their temperature range. Commercially fast growth is a premium but for pets why not aim for a long life? My adults live at 10-15C.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back