Beginner advice?

AbyesShovel

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello all ? I fulfilled a childhood dream today and got my first axie! I have done a fair bit of reading up and have followed all instructions, I'm just fishing for any tips and tricks anyone may want to share. Also; my Ruto seems stressed her gills are curved around the front slightly. I have a small pump on the lowest flow setting creating literally only a tiny disturbance, I suppose the stress of travelling and entering a new environment is to be expected but any tips on how to help if there's any way? 'She' is behind her hide so hopefully that'll make her feel more secure.

Could you post some photos? Have you cycled your tank before adding your new axolotl? They do take a bit of time to settle into their new home but it is good to make sure nothing else could be causing stress. Test the parameters including ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph and temperature. How far forward are the gills curled? They do have a natural curve to them normally. If they are stressed, usually they will be curled far forward over their face.

12072572_577033995784152_7949791207687715495_n.jpg

I will ensure I do the above things too; as for cycling no I didn't not properly after reading up, my instructions were to set up 24 hrs beforehand (like a fish) and that would be fine. Temperature is 19 degrees

Unfortunately most stores and many people give out the wrong advice. But cycling is important for any aquatic animal. The important thing now is that you can rectify it by reading up on the cycling process, monitoring parameters carefully and doing frequent water changes to ensure you don't expose your axolotl toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite during the cycling process.

The water levels should be fine, I only got her yesterday and I live in an area renowned for good water (they don't even add fluoride) could anybody recommend a website with an appropriate testing kit for ammonia nitrite etc? The water is tap water dechlorinated and allowed to sit for 24 hours.

When would you suggest first cycling the water?

I use API fresh water master test kit. If you Google this you will come up with some suppliers. Try not to be tempted by the test strips, these tend to be rather inaccurate. :happy:

Reactions: sde
Yeah I want a proper one, I'm a care worker plenty of experience with faulty testing sticks ? Thanks a lot for your help :)

The water levels should be fine, I only got her yesterday and I live in an area renowned for good water (they don't even add fluoride) could anybody recommend a website with an appropriate testing kit for ammonia nitrite etc? The water is tap water dechlorinated and allowed to sit for 24 hours.

When would you suggest first cycling the water?

Have you read the link provided on cycling? Cycling is not the process of water changes but the process of establishing colonies of good bacteria to get the nitrogen cycle in place. So your axolotl will create poo which will then form ammonia. Good bacteria colonises on the surfaces of your tank such as filter media, substrate, ornament surfaces etc and consume the ammonia, converting it to nitrite. Then, another bacteria colonises and consumes the nitrite and turns this into nitrate. So to begin with, your new tank won't have these colonies of good bacteria so ammonia and nitrite can quickly spike during the process of cycling. You will need to test the parameters with your test kit (I also recommend the API Freshwater Master test kit) and keep ammonia and nitrite at safe levels by doing frequent water changes. A cycled tank will have readings of zero ammonia and nitrite and a reading of nitrate. However you will want to keep nitrate below 40ppm by doing regular water changes.

Ah I see. I'll crack on with that then thanks, she seems to be settling in gills don't look curled and she's moving around exploring, floating and dropping swimming a bit

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back