Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Identtification Help

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Hello I bought a new newt but I don't know what spice is are but it looks like alpine newt
I don't know
there are a 2 tritrus karellini and this newt in my tank is that problem?
Thanks for Answers

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 156

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Yea I bought it from a pet store but it was extremely cheap 1.62 USD dollar
I'm living in Turkey and this newt must be WC and there is hard to found Alpine Newt in here
but there is a lot of Ommatotriton ophryticus in here
i think this newt Northern Banded Newt -female or triturus vittatus Southern Banded Newt female
I don't know really but its extremely cheap 1.62 USD it must be WC and its in very bad condition very tiny
Thanks for answer :) ^^

Jensino

Reaction score
Hi,

it looks like a northern banded newt female to me. At least you can buy this species in many turkish petshops for 20 Lira or less. Unfortunately most of them are wild caught.
Your Triturus "karelinii" might be Triturus ivanbureschi instead. This species is widespread in western turkey and often sold in petshops as well.

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Thanks for answers yea its Northern Banded Newt
and my Other newts must be Triturus ivanbureschi or Triturus anatolicus its hard to find my newts spieces cause there is nearly any difference between Triturus ivanbureschi and Triturus anatolicus except different areas but not a problem I love them whatever they are :)
Its very bad to wild caught i cant imagine my newts swimming large great ponds with the freedom they hunting,relaxing and being happy in no human areas :( thats not good for them
no owner can give them a freedom only nature can give freedom to these creatures
Thanks for answers ^^

Jensino

Reaction score
The pictures named "IMG_0106" and IMG_0105" show a lateral white band from right behind the eye that run alongside the body to the tail. This pattern is typical for Ommatotriton species. The belly can be yellow or orange, seldom with a few black spots.
An alpine newt female would be more bluish on the dorsal and with black spots lateral instead of a white band.
Considering the place of purchase (turkey), my conclusion is Ommatotriton ophryticus.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I take back my ID because I thought I saw something I didn't. I think maybe I was looking at a different post? I thought I saw pic of the newt with an orange belly and the slight blue on the side which I don't see now in any of these pictures. But I can't seem to find a post with a picture like that.

ReptileLover

Reaction score
Not a problem thanks to everybody for help
I love that forum :)
but I got the last question about newt's terrestrial stage is it a problem to live a year in 3/1 land 3/2 water aquarium? or I need to make a new land terrarium for them?

Jensino

Reaction score
This set-up should be fine year round, but if your newts start occupying the terrestial part you can relocate them to a more terrestrial terrarium (like you would use for salamanders) or alternatively lower the water-level. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!