Question: A. Maculatum feeding help

amkid247

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Spotted Salamander
i have a young yellow spotted salamander (he's been transformed for a while). Anyway ive been feeding him cut up peices of earthworms, but im not sure how much to actually feed him in one sitting. ive stopped feeding at three pieces of worm. then i wait to the next day. the worm peices seem big for him to eat so much! he's still so tiny! should i just keep trying to feed him in one sitting until he refuses to eat? or should i feed him over a longer amount of time, say two or three hours until he stops eating?

It sounds to me like you are doing everything right, so far! You could probably keep feeding him until he refuses to eat; over time you will learn what his limit is and then be able to feed the proper amount from there.

Good Luck!:D

Don't worry about size. One of my marbled salamanders stayed tiny forever, and it ate a lot. As long as its eating and appears healthy, youre doing well.

ok so ill do that! im just trying to figure out where he puts it all!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back