Question: Food...matters!

Delirio

Reaction score
Country
England
Hello,

Hope everything is OK! Yesterday I posted some pics and a question regarding Camilo, today I got another one related to food.

I would like Camilo to eat something different apart from the blood worms; once every fortnight he gets a shrimp (which he adores!) and yesterday whilst buying some stuff for him at the pet shop, I found a food that is called "TetraFreshDelica" (as it reads all together) and the flavour is "Brine Shrimps in jelly" and the brand is Tetra.

The food comes in a tiny sachet (like the sugar sticks you get when buying a hot drink, but shorter) and says that it contains molluscs and crustaceans, vegetable protein extracts, fish and fish derivatives, derivatives of vegetable origin, oils and fats, yeast plus vitamins A, D, E6 zinc, E1 Iron, E3 cobalt, manganese, colourants.

Obviously the food is aimed for ornamental fish.

Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to give it to him?

Appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance

The problem with the foods in gel is that the food itself tends to be mushy, and the gel adds nutrients to the tank (though perhaps you could rinse it off). It shouldn't pose any harm, except for possible affects on water quality, but I haven't heard of anyone using these products much.

Better options would be to find a source of earthworms or some type of pellet that your axie will accept.

Hi Jenewt,

Thank you for your advise, the only inconvenient I'm facing is where to purchase this pellets. In the pet store I go (Pets at Home) there's nothing alike the pellets I read about on the site.
I think I will have to carry on doing more homework!
:happy:

The most common pellets are the soft sinking salmon pellets. If you google it, or even do a search here a few threads will come up with where to buy.

I second what Jennewt said though, earthworms are the best choice for axies. Good luck!

my two axies are predominantly on frozen bloodworm but they also happily eat sinking cichlid pellets (Hikari Cichlid Gold). they are small but hard... must taste nice cause they gobble them down after a brief chew

Exotic pets.co.uk advertise the following for axolotls
Sinking food pellets for Axolotls
Four different sizes of sinking food pellets for Axolotls.
They also sell three different sizes of earthworms. Hope this helps

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions!
I will keep you posted.

Have a nice day,

:happy::happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back