Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Black Eastern Newt

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm here to address something I've noticed in one of my Eastern Newts (Red Efts), I'm not sure if it's an issue with it's health or simply a strange colouring anomaly. Out of my two Eastern Newts, one is brownish-yellow, which I assume is normal. The other one, however, is black. His stomach is bright orange, like the other one and he eats normally and is active so I don't think he's sick, but can anyone tell me if I should be concerned?

Thanks for your time.

kay

Reaction score
For us to be able to accurately help you, if it beneficial for you to post pictures, so we may see how these animals look.

However, to try and address your concerns I have heard others mention that discoloration can be normal at times. Although uncommon to this degree, many species have colouration varients.

I would say that if he is acting normal as you say, eating fine and such, then hold off worrying for now.
Once you post some pictures, I'm sure we will be better able to fully address this for you.

One last question, has he always been this colouration, or has this been a recent change you have noticed?

Aaron Chris

Reaction score
One last question, has he always been this colouration, or has this been a recent change you have noticed?

When I first got him he was dark-red, almost brown.

When a friend of mine gets home they'll let me use their camera, should be pics in an hour or so.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When i saw that picture in the calendar competition i thought the black individual was H.orientalis xD Now i´m not sure at all. There´s a hint of red spotting that can´t really be seen properly. It´s not conclusive, though, as H.orientalis can have one or more red spots. It´s unusual but it happens. I can´t seem to find any characteristic that can identify it conclusively as either species. Also, i´d kind of expect such a strongly melanistic noto to not desplay red spots, but since i´ve never seen a confirmed melanistic noto, that´s just a personal hunch.
It´s definitely most interesting, i hope the individual in the picture can be confirmed as a melanistic notophthalmus, that would be very interesting. And, please do try to post a picture of your animal, Aaron Chris, we are dying of curiosity! I have seen pictures of very dark terrestrial notos, but nothing that i´d describe as black.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1