Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Severe axolotl attack

abbeh15

Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing everything right and moving in a positive direction. Keep it up and your axie will be back to normal in no time.

As for wax worms, they should be given sparingly. If fed as a staple, it would be like you eating candy and fried foods all the time. Much too fatty. Earthworms are the best staple.

Jen10s

Reaction score
Fantastic news that the Colonel is improving, I've been worried how she was going ......

Perhaps you could start a worm farm so you have a constant supply of yummy juicy worms for her - I ended up doing that and my Axies have thrived since swapping from fatty feeder fish.

Keep us updated on her progress, look forward to some pics when you have some too :happy:

TheColonel

Reaction score
i have some photo's for you all :)

she's usually kept somewhere much darker than this, but obviously for the photos i brought her out

adivYGFX.jpg

actpmllA.jpg

absdlumz.jpg

abss1FDS.jpg

Last edited:

TheColonel

Reaction score
I will say this though : I don't know whether to be concerned about the colour of the bone on her back-right lg, it was the one that was covered in horrible stuff in the last photos

tigmades

Reaction score
I'd just like to add a comment of what I've personally experienced. I do have a worm farm, but because my guys are so ravenous they nearly wiped it out. I got alternative food (pellets) and I've noticed a substantial increase in growth (with both kinds). I think it's like dog food ingredients -> chicken (80% water) vs chicken meal. Since the chicken meal has the water removed, it is highly concentrated in proteins. I've feed them less volume-wise with pellets and yet they started to grow faster. So perhaps while he's recovering, it would be better to feed a good quality pellet food?

This was just leading up to: perhaps try a better pellet? From what could find out, soy bean meal is the first ingredient in yours. I can't find which specific food one it is but if it's the one I think it is the protein content is around 35% which I would consider being too low. (feel free to take a picture of the ingredients list and guaranteed analysis!).

I would personally vouch for the TetraCichlid jumbo carnivore sticks I found at Walmart (not sure if you have that in the UK?), which have 47% protein, and shrimp meal as first ingredient. They float naturally so I generally crush them with my fingers first to let out air, then finger feed them to my axies. If you can get a hold of Rangen soft-moist salmon pellets though, those are pure gold - my axies absolutely love them! They'll probably eat a staple of Rangen, but have worms as treats throughout the week.

Dipsy66

Reaction score
Keep up the good work..she looks to be improving and hopefully we will all get to see her looking much better with regrown limbs and tail.

Good on you for persisting with her upkeep and well done for taking the advice given with such good grace. It shows what a good person you are and the people on here are passionate about their lotties.

Keep the updates coming.

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Yay! Looks a million times better then before! Still a long road ahead of her but she is making such great progress! Just keep doing what you are doing because it seems to be doing good. She even looks a bit chunkier already :)

I dont think anybody here was meaning to sound mean anyways.. I mean you were here for a reason, you did what most wouldnt of done.. Admited you made a mistake and didnt take the best care of her.. But you came here for a reason.. If you didnt care about her well being you would of just let her die. But seeing how kindly you took everybodies combined advice and seeing how well she is doing just proves to me that you do care very much about your lotl, and perhaps it wasnt that you werent taking well enough care of her in the first place but you just didnt know how.

I am very happy to see that you are working so hard to help her get better :) and you really can tell.. Because i know axolotls are miracle healers but they need their owners help to keep their living environments ideal durin the healin process. And if we can avoid fungus or other infections then that makes it all the better!

TheColonel

Reaction score
more photo's, and more progress! :)

she's got discernible feet on the 3 legs that weren't as bad, she's gaining weight and she's also got a lot more fin, and because of this she's swimming sooo much better :D

again on the worm farm : having a little financial trouble atm but the advice definitely isn't forgotten!

Easter egg : picture of my girlfriends axolotl, Vince :)

abe9zN21.jpg

acoWm4JA.jpg

aclOHn5u.jpg

Last edited:

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Woohoo! You are doing a great job at rehabilitating your axie! I am so very proud.
I am sure this is a lot of work and a lot of stress but the end progress is showing how worth it all it is!
Congrats I think you deserve a medal for this, seriously. In my opinion if you didnt come here and take literally a million different advices and put them all together and acted as fast as you did at getting your lotl on the track to recovery the chances of recorvery would of been slim, any complications im sure would of been a vet visit at least in my opinion, but at this stage im pretty confident that she will be looking better within a month and though full recovery may be 6months down the road, the worst is almost over!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!