Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Big smooth rocks vs sand

MudkipAxolotl

Reaction score
Which is a better substrate for axolotls: big smooth rocks or sand? My only concern with sand is that when I clean the tank, the sand will be sucked up by the filtering tube. What do you guys think? Also, what type of sand is best--type, price, and store you bought it from

auntiejude

Reaction score
The problem with rocks is that poop and food get stuck between and under them - it's a real pain to clean.

Play sand is best - the grains are smooth rather than jagged, and it's readily available at DIY stores.

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Im definitely a fan of sand. I tried large river stones before and you would be amazed at all the gunk that seeps in between them . Playsand is good but you have to rinse, and rinse, and rinse...etc lol . Aquarium sand is great because its specifically made for this purpose, and it comes in a colors :) spot clean with a turkey baster daily to keep clean !

keiko

Reaction score
I use the kind of sand they use when sandblasting stuff. It's super smooth and soft. Plus I got it super cheap from my dads friend; 40kg cost 5€. Some of it will get sucked up when cleaning, but you can always add more if needed. And I think the sand is a lot easier to clean than big rocks because the waste will just be on top of the sand if cleaned regularly but with rocks all the waste will get stuck between and under the rocks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!