Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frog pellets for axolotl?

Aliciers

Reaction score
Hello, I have a juvenile axolotl reaching almost 3 inches. I was wondering if zoomed frog pellets would be sufficient in addition to frozen bloodworms. If not I can get something else I just already have these pellets for my frogs..here is the ingredients and guaranteed analysis.
AQUATIC FROG AND TADPOLE FOOD 'micro pellets'

Guaranteed analysis-
Crude protein...minimum 50%
Crude fat...minimum 16%
Crude fiber...maximum 3%
Moisture...maximum 11%
Ash...maximum 11%
Phosphorus...minimum 1%

Ingredients-
Fish meal, soybean meal, fish oil, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, lecithin, lignin sulfonate, L-Abscorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized source of vitamin c), choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin A supplement , vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin b12 supplement, maganess sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, potassium iodate, propionic acid (preservative), and Ethoxyquin (preservative).

SuburbanGirl

Reaction score
Frog pellets are not ideal for the long term, but can be used short term if needed.

The best food for an axolotl is earthworms, so if you can find a fishing or bait shop near you, that's what I would recommend. I used to have a good bait shop near my home, and I could keep the earthworms in my fridge for up to 2-3 weeks, as long as I fed them at some point. (this meant tossing some coffee grounds in their can after I'd had them for about a week)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1