Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Stressed from Move...

AmberAmazine

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the wall of text.
TL;DR: Stressed/beat up from a long move, not eating, have him fridged, what else can I do?

My 5 yr old male leucistic was just moved from 2600 miles from Atlanta to Washington state. I left him with my boyfriend for the last 3 months, so I haven't been taking direct care of him. He was happy and healthy when I left.

He got beat up a little during the 2-day move; abrasions on his face and a red leg that seems a little better now. He's been in a 10-gallon tub for the last few days (daily water changes, temp at 60F/15C) while the tank cycles, and he's been showing signs of stress since he arrived.

[Imgur album]

He's also throwing up his nightcrawler pieces half-digested. He normally eats red wigglers, so I'm not sure if this is a picky-eater problem or a stress problem. I can't find anything but nightcrawlers at nearby bait shops or Petco. Any suggestions for alternative food for a picky eater?

I panicked and fridged him last night and his tail is starting to uncurl. Any other suggestions to help him?

EggAndSausage

Reaction score
Petsmart has red wiggles. He might be stressed from different temps from you boyfriends house to Washington or from you original home. Did you keep any of your old water? if not, that is a problem because if you dumped the water, it had all the good bacteria and now all the new bacteria that's untreated in the water from the new water will be like you just got a new tank. Hope this helps

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a little note... There is little of the bacteria floating freely in the water, it'll be concentrated more in the filter and on other objects with in your original tank. As long as these items where kept moist, they should transport well.
Understandably your axolotl will be stressed from the huge move. The water will be different as well so he may need to adjust to that too. Hopefully, being kept cool and quiet for a while will help. Keep us posted with any further changes.

AmberAmazine

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions. After fridging him for a bit, he is almost back to himself. He's developed a fungal infection on his damaged leg, but I am going to attempt another fridging along with salt baths. Thanks again!
update picture

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!