Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slate Tile And Sand Combo Bottom

Kingfisher

Reaction score
Has anyone used a combination slate tile and sand bottom? I was thinking of laying slate tile on the bottom of a 50 gallon tank and filling in the cracks and edges with sand. Making the setup a less permanent bottom, in case I want to change it in the future. Filling the cracks with silicone would make the bottom more of a permanent. Placing sand in the cracks and/or a thin bottom layer under the tile would prevent food and waste (I figure) from going under the tiles and being trapped.
Anyone have any thoughts?

NidiaNz

Reaction score
Has anyone used a combination slate tile and sand bottom? I was thinking of laying slate tile on the bottom of a 50 gallon tank and filling in the cracks and edges with sand. Making the setup a less permanent bottom, in case I want to change it in the future. Filling the cracks with silicone would make the bottom more of a permanent. Placing sand in the cracks and/or a thin bottom layer under the tile would prevent food and waste (I figure) from going under the tiles and being trapped.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I use sand, tiles and large slate stones in my lotl tanks.

Attachments

• inCollage_20180611_162204638.jpg
    inCollage_20180611_162204638.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 262
  • inCollage_20180611_162736576.jpg
    inCollage_20180611_162736576.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 220

Kingfisher

Reaction score
NiadiaNz your tanks look amazing! Did you silicone the tiles down or are they just placed on the bottom with a layer sand under it.

NidiaNz

Reaction score
NiadiaNz your tanks look amazing! Did you silicone the tiles down or are they just placed on the bottom with a layer sand under it.

Hi, they are just sitting on the bottom, I try to keep sand in the gaps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!