Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Parasite? What is this thing?

Cryowuff

Reaction score
So I think my axolotl has parasites; I've explained why in an earlier post so I won't go into detail again here. In short, he's exhibiting all the symptoms of an internal parasitic infection. However now he's passing these weird wormlike things, and I'm now feeling very secure in that he has parasites. Can anyone tell me if that's what this looks like?

Sorry if it's hard to see amongst all the sand. I've found 4 in his tank now, 2 coming out of him and 2 on the tank floor. All have looked EXACTLY the same, just some slightly differently colored. I will be contacting a vet but I'd like to know if these things look like parasites or not, so that if they are I can tell the vet.

Attachments

• 20190203_133631.jpg
    20190203_133631.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 167

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I am nowhere near an expert but it does look like a parasite to me. The vet will probably have better knowledge, if no one else gets back to you :)

NexSocius

Reaction score
One of my girls pooped out 2 or 3 of these, would be interested to see what your vet thinks. I was going to look at one under a magnifying glass, but when I changed pallets she stopped, and her poos were more like diarrhea. I have them back on their normal pallets now (until the worms are ready)

Cryowuff

Reaction score
Vet told me to keep a watchful eye since he is showing improvement, and no signs of serious illness. He's been doing great but went off his food again today, think I might just need to do a quick water change though. He's touchy with nitrates. My other axolotls eat the same pellets and are very healthy, so I don't think so!

Cryowuff

Reaction score
The vet said it could just be coincidentally formed mucus or something of the sort. He said if you're not seeing live worms and the weird droppings only happen a handful of times, it shouldn't be cause for concern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1