Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

possibly gravid newt?

wendianne

Reaction score
I recently noticed my newt to have a swollen abdomen. After doing some research, I believe that it is because she ( whom i thought was a he) is gravid. Ive read up on it and ive looked at pictures. Patrick, or mabe now Patritia, is I think a California Newt. Dark brown ontop, yellowish underside, bumpy skin. How long will it be gravid? I dont have anything but large rocks in the tank. There are 2 newts in the tank, both the same species, however im sure the other is male. I was told by the pet store we bought them from, to keep them in water and with just a rock to climb out of the water onto. Are there some things I should do? Anyone with any advice, I would appreciate it..im not sure what to do..

Critter Mom

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your specific type of newt, however I have read on here about making egg-laying strips if you don't have plants in your tank.

You can take a small stone or river rock, or in the picture they used some type of brick piece, and use that as the anchor for the strips. You can cut strips from a sturdy plastic bag like the kitchen ziploc kind, or I believe they used packaging tape and folded it over on itself to make the skinny strips. The strips were then rubber banded to the anchor. It would be easier to do a search for the egg-laying strips on here I think, than to try to explain it, as there were nice step-by-step directions and pictures, as well as measurements.

You may find that you want to add some plants. I have added some plants and they are a wonderful addition! They don't need any special substrate or attention, and they should do well as long as you get the right kind for the set-up you have, and have an aquarium light you leave on for at least 8 hours. I just have medium to large gravel and smooth river rocks holding them in place. They are large enough that my newts would not be able to swallow them.

Here are my top picks for plants::D
(I got my plants at Petsmart, and they are guaranteed snail free!)

These are for either terrariums or aquariums not necessarily in order)
1) They have an aquarium grass in a tank that is versatile and I forgot what it is called. ($1.99 ea.)
2) Gold Ribbon Plant (12" 2-4 live plants for $9.99, smaller available)
3) White Ribbon Plant (4" 2-4 live plants for $3.99, larger available)
4) Kyoto Grass Plant (4" 2-4 live plants for $3.99, check sizes avail.)

Aquariums only (put in the water area):
1) Aqua Fern Plant 2-4 live plants for $3.99, check sizes avail.)

Plants are not only aesthetically pleasing, are a natural place for your gravid newt to lay her eggs, but also helps reduce waste chemicals such as nitrates in the water. Have fun!:happy:

wendianne

Reaction score
I am not familiar with your specific type of newt, however I have read on here about making egg-laying strips if you don't have plants in your tank.

You can take a small stone or river rock, or in the picture they used some type of brick piece, and use that as the anchor for the strips. You can cut strips from a sturdy plastic bag like the kitchen ziploc kind, or I believe they used packaging tape and folded it over on itself to make the skinny strips. The strips were then rubber banded to the anchor. It would be easier to do a search for the egg-laying strips on here I think, than to try to explain it, as there were nice step-by-step directions and pictures, as well as measurements.

You may find that you want to add some plants. I have added some plants and they are a wonderful addition! They don't need any special substrate or attention, and they should do well as long as you get the right kind for the set-up you have, and have an aquarium light you leave on for at least 8 hours. I just have medium to large gravel and smooth river rocks holding them in place. They are large enough that my newts would not be able to swallow them.

Here are my top picks for plants::D
(I got my plants at Petsmart, and they are guaranteed snail free!)

These are for either terrariums or aquariums not necessarily in order)
1) They have an aquarium grass in a tank that is versatile and I forgot what it is called. ($1.99 ea.)
2) Gold Ribbon Plant (12" 2-4 live plants for $9.99, smaller available)
3) White Ribbon Plant (4" 2-4 live plants for $3.99, larger available)
4) Kyoto Grass Plant (4" 2-4 live plants for $3.99, check sizes avail.)

Aquariums only (put in the water area):
1) Aqua Fern Plant 2-4 live plants for $3.99, check sizes avail.)

Plants are not only aesthetically pleasing, are a natural place for your gravid newt to lay her eggs, but also helps reduce waste chemicals such as nitrates in the water. Have fun!:happy:

Thanks so much for the info, ill do some more looking around to find out more about the strips you mentioned. Also I will be sure to get some plants for them!

Critter Mom

Reaction score
No problem...glad I could help! Give us an update as to how it works out with pictures if you can. I for one would be interested in knowing if she lays the eggs and how that process goes, as I am still new with that myself. :happy:

wendianne

Reaction score
Just an update, Im not sure what was going on but the newt I thought to be gravid has died. I found it belly up at the bottom of the tank..So Im not sure what was going on now.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s very likely that you newt was not gravid, but bloated.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Awe...I am so sorry to hear that!:errr: I was getting excited and waiting for pictures too.:eek: Um, that's ok. I don't need to see them now, unless they are from when she was alive.;)

Big Hug,
Critter Mom

wendianne

Reaction score
Well i did some research about bloating and the newts arms and legs and head were not swollen. Only the abdomen was engorged. So Im just not sure what went wrong. The newt also lost its appetite over the period of time it was engorged. I also read that a gravid female might lose her appetite..but anyway..thanks for your kind words critter mom! I will try to upload the pictures of her from when she was normal lol. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!