Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Paddle tail newt help!

tiki

Reaction score
I recently got a paddle tail newt, and I noticed a small white spot on his leg. After a few days of it mostly hiding as it got accustomed to its new environment, I took it out to mess with the tank. Its foot was completely gone, and the leg is now a weird white color with stuff hanging off it (back right leg). I looked around online and found a lot of conflicting information about fridging and salt baths, but I was wondering if anyone here had to deal with this and has any information they've used and trust? I have him quarantined and am changing the water every day, 100%, keeping it as cool as possible, but I don't know...
One specific question: how deep should the water be when they're quarantined or fridged?
Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• turkey run 059.JPG
    turkey run 059.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 1,245

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Limb rot is common among newly-imported newts. In case you haven't found this yet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/illness.shtml
I'd recommend keeping the animal cool and clean, which you are already doing. Beyond that there are various things that can be tried. One is to get a vet to amputate the dead part of the limb, then treat with antibiotics until the wound heals. It would probably grow back if the animal is healthy enough overall. There are various over-the-counter fish antibiotics you could try (see article).

tiki

Reaction score
Thanks! That's really helpful. But I have a follow up question: Is it good or bad if he starts sloughing off small amounts of skin, probably near the wound? First I thought it meant maybe the skin was growing back and fixing itself or something, then I thought it might mean the skin is dying and coming off because the infection/fungus is spreading, so I don't know. I can't seem to find much information about this online for some reason

Last edited:

tiki

Reaction score
Also, do you know if the bad part would fall off or heal over on its own, cause there are no exotic pet vets that I have heard of anywhere near here that could amputate, and I would never attempt anything like that on my own

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding the skin sloughing, I wouldn't worry as long as it's from around the leg, not all over. It's possible that it will heal on its own, but it's also possible that it will get a systemic infection and that's the end. If the animal is overall healthy (which is questionable, as it's just been through heck getting here from China), then you just need to stave off a systemic infection.

tiki

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help! Unfortunately, he died this morning... -sigh- poor guy..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1