Fire Belly Newt Set Up

Quack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tommy
I have a chinese fire belly newt, I had two but one passed away, I'm planning on setting up a big(40 - 90gal) aquarium for her and many more newts but i can't think of any ideas for a set up so if you can post pics of your set ups to give me any ideas as far as plants, water, land, etc... i would really appreciate it :happy:

Wow, That would be a paradise for her!:eek::happy:
I wish you the best of luck!:D

-Frank

Healthy and properly housed Cynops can be considered 100% aquatic. That means terrestrial areas are a waste of space. All they need is a piece of floating cork bark to rest on if they decide to(which they rarely if ever do).
The more water the better, so i´d use as much volume as possible. That way water quality will be very easy to maintain.

If you get more newts, make sure you quarantine them for a month or so, because they are wild caught and very often ill(well you lost one, you know).

Healthy and properly housed Cynops can be considered 100% aquatic. That means terrestrial areas are a waste of space. All they need is a piece of floating cork bark to rest on if they decide to(which they rarely if ever do).
The more water the better, so i´d use as much volume as possible. That way water quality will be very easy to maintain.

If you get more newts, make sure you quarantine them for a month or so, because they are wild caught and very often ill(well you lost one, you know).
I was going to put land in the tank but you made a good point. The only reason I lost the one was because of a fight(When I found her she had bite marks on her tail and her fingers were missing but the day before she was just fine, she had all of her fingers and her tail was completely intact with no scratches or anything). I am going to quarrantine the new ones when I get them.

The only reason I lost the one was because of a fight(When I found her she had bite marks on her tail and her fingers were missing but the day before she was just fine, she had all of her fingers and her tail was completely intact with no scratches or anything).

Are you sure you have a Chinese firebellied newt, Cynops orientalis? These are generally a placid species and show very little aggression between each other. The multiple attacks you describe are out of character.

Often sickness will manifest itself as tail sores and missing digits.

I wish other sites would get it straight with the Cynops Orientalis set up. I have read that they require very little water and that only an inch or two will suffice and that it is really up to the newt keeper, to it being a "must" to have 1/3 land to 2/3 water, making them listed as semi-aquatic everywhere. Here it says that they will be fine with a large water mass, a lot of plants, and something to haul out on once in a while. I can understand how the pet stores don't know how to house them. No two sites seem to say the same thing as far as their needs go, from housing to diet.:( No wonder people get them home and the newts have diseases many times.

Are you sure you have a Chinese firebellied newt, Cynops orientalis? These are generally a placid species and show very little aggression between each other. The multiple attacks you describe are out of character.

Often sickness will manifest itself as tail sores and missing digits.
All I know is that she was fine the day before healthy and eating normally, then the next day when I found her, she looked like she had bite marks in her so it could've been sickness.

That doesn´t answer Mark´s question...
If they are indeed C.orientalis i´d discard agression...it sounds way too much for these peaceful guys.
Infections can appear rather quickly, and in their first states can be easily overlooked if one doesn´t know what to look for.

Sorry about that Mark, but heres a pic of her and then a pic of her stomach(They're not very good but they're the only ones I have)

She wasn't in her permanent home it was for when I cleaned her tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back