Question: Where can i get ammonia? cycling

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
So having read loads of pages on cycling, im still not sure i understand it (dumb i know)

Ive been adding the waste off the other tanks to try and raise the nitrates and ammonia but i dont think its worked.

Today ive cleaned up the mess, washed and added play sand, put in floating and planted plants and added mopani wood along with a fake rock and my old sponge filter. (also added a normal filter for the time being)

Reading up on cycling it says something about adding ammonium hydroxide to do a fish less cycle but im not sure i understand about it.

The waters been in there with added waste everyday for around 2 weeks, i tested it today and it was all good readings.

Can anyone give me simple 'cycling for dummies' instructions?

In order for a fishless cycle to work,you need a constant source of ammonia-either using fish food,prawns or household ammonia.
The ammonia triggers the nitrite bacteria,who in turn trigger the nitrate bacteria.
The aim is to end up with zero ammonia and nitrite readings and a nitrate reading of around 5-10 (for tropical fish,can't remember what it is for axolotls).
You need these readings for a few days whilst still adding an ammonia source to make sure the bacteria are removing it.
Then you can do a water change,check the levels again and if all's ok you can add your axolotl.x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What i meant was, what do you put in to MAKE the ammonia high?

I have nothing to put in to start the cycle.

Do you buy ammonia? and if so what does it need to be?

Or can you use old food ect..

Ive never had tanks before and dont know how to establish one :p

What i meant was, what do you put in to MAKE the ammonia high?

I have nothing to put in to start the cycle.

Do you buy ammonia? and if so what does it need to be?

Or can you use old food ect..

Ive never had tanks before and dont know how to establish one :p

It was answered in the previous post. Fish flakes, shrimp, anything that can produce ammonia, which is anything known to foul the water. A piece of frozen fish/prawn or a capfull of fish food will work.

Ive already been putting the dirty tank water and food in off my axies but it doesnt seem to be spiking anything.

I dont know what household ammonia is.

Well if the ammonia is clearing and wont go up is this not sign your cycle is complete?

Ive already been putting the dirty tank water and food in off my axies but it doesnt seem to be spiking anything.

I dont know what household ammonia is.

Prawns or shrimp would be best,you need a very high ammonia source,what you're currently doing isn't strong enough.
Household ammonia is sold in diy stores,usually in the cleaning bit,if you Google it it should tell you what it can be known as in your country,or just for in the store and ask.
A couple of prawns or shrimp will do the same job,as will a handful of fish flakes mixed in the tank.

You can use the methods listed above, but I wanted to share with you how I cycle my tank. I'm not sure if this product is available to you in New England but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. I use Dr Tim's One and Only in conjunction with Dr. Tim's ammonia. This process makes it possible to cycle your tank in a matter of days.

Thank you for your help guys.

I just wasnt sure what household ammonia was, ive seen cleaning products that are ammonia (for kitchens/bathrooms ect) but wasnt sure if this was safe for tank water as the axies will eventually go in it.

At the moment ive got a handfull of pellets in there, and i will now get some household ammonia to add :)

I think i get the idea now, make the nitrate/nitrite high, then try to reduce it to safe levels as this will make the 'good bacteria' grow(?) :eek:

HAGEN NUTRAFIN CYCLE. Can you use this, it says it establishes a tank quickly and is used for cycling. I couldnt find any Dr Tim's.

If i use that is that all i need?

You'd still need a source of ammonia if you add that,as the bacteria need feeding to multiply. You could try squeezing out some media from an established tank to help things along or see if anyone will give you some?ill go see if i can find the name of the household ammonia for you.

Thats great thanks, ive still got the pellets in there, hopefully, that will do something and ill get some of that ammonia :p

I feel loads better about it now!

Now worries! The pellets should kick start things and the ammonia will help a lot!
Im doing a fishless cycle at the minute but just using fish flakes as I'm trying a new method of planting.

Good luck with the cycle!just keep checking ammonia and nitirites at first,then when.tough get nitirites start looking at nitrates,when ammonia and Nitrite hit zero,do about a 50% water change,add a bit more ammonia,re test after 24hrs and if its gone (along with zero nitirites) you should be good to.go x

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

I feel quite awful because I didn't know about it when I first got lotls and didn't cycle the tank for my 4 month old or my babies, I just left the water sitting there for 48 hours with dechlorinator in!

tough little cookies :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back