strange question

diannpf

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, I have seen axies at the fish shop and they are always walking around on the bottom of the tank. My question is, why does my one float on the top. He does swim around but rarely does he walk on the bottom. Is this normal?

Floating isn't necessarily normal. It can be due to excess gas, constipation, or bacterial infections. Is yours able to submerge? Does it float less after defecation?

Also, young axolotls rarely walk on the bottom. Young ones spend a LOT more time swimming than the adults do.

My axie floats alot he has always done this. He will float for a while and then would just float back down. My other axie has never floated before.

Mine only floats at night and the early morning, but I put this down to them being partly nocturnal. Salsa seems to swim really fast and then smash into the corner and then float to the top of the tank and do the whole thing again.
She's strange.

Banda doesnt float at all..she swimms around like a fish gone mad at night and when i wake up in the morning..

Does Banda like do laps and then swim everywhere like crazy?
I thought only my Salsa did this, I thought that there was something wrong with her.

My axie used to do that when I first got it. It would swim across the tank really fast and then bump its head into the wall and turn around and do it all over again.

If they swim like crazy, even bumping their head then yes there is obviously something wrong. It can take a week for an axolotl to settle into its new environment, but if it continually happens something is probably wrong, ie most probable is water quality if your tank hasn't been cycled and not enough partial waterchanges are occurring.

Does Banda like do laps and then swim everywhere like crazy?
I thought only my Salsa did this, I thought that there was something wrong with her.

Yup Banda does it at late night and when mum flicks the light on to wake me up..
But usually shes just walking around, sleeping,hiding being lazy etc XD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back