Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unusual Question (or maybe not)

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Long story but I'll save the details. The microwave cought fire and the house filled with smoke. I had the fire out and the windows open within minutes but the house smells like burned plastic. Any thoughts on keeping the tanks set-up or should I relocate the newts temporarily. I am unsure of the levels of actual stuff in the air but it seems ok. I have started ad canister with carbon on the 5o gallon T. Granulosa set-up but the smaller ones for the C. Orientalis are what I am worried about. Any suggestions.

freves

Reaction score
I would change out both tanks just to be on the safe side. You never know what sorts of contaminants may have ended up in the enclosure(s) water. I am currently having my house renovated. About two weeks ago I had the upstairs floor sanded and finished. Two days later I lost every fish in a 20 gal tank. There was a cloudy film covering the surface of the water. Luckily the newts and other animals have seemed fine.
Chip

MRIGUY

Reaction score
It seems to be cooling down here now so I opened all the windows and will continue to air the house. I'll keep the carbon on the large tank and do a daily partial on the small tanks. I did feed a little while ago and everyone ate well. Though I believe my granulosas would eat well if I froze them solid.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to water changes, it would be simple to add some aquarium carbon to the smaller tanks too. Just put it into any kind of porous container or cloth. If you have an "MRI-GAL" around the house, old nylon stockings make good bags for holding filter carbon.

MRIGUY

Reaction score
Thanks Jen. MRI Gal is indeed well hosed and I have reallocated them on occasion. I also made a simple and very cheap filter a while back that I use for spot cleaning the smaller tanks. It is a very small hobby pump and a 16oz Dasani water bottle filled with carbon. The bottle has 2 dozen small holes in it and when the pump pushes water in the top via a small flex hose, it flows through the carbon (or whatever) and voila. Cheap filter. I have seen 2 liter versions as well as a 30 gallon trash can size for a pond.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!