Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Question

Saspotato

Reaction score
Ok sorry if this has been asked before here (I searched but couldn't find anything):

I was reading here that axolotls get stressed by strong water flow so wanted to know about my filter. I have an 'Eheim 2010 PickUp' Internal Filter in a 60 litre (15 gallon) tank and wanted to know if that was ok for my axolotl? If not, will a diffuser bar be ok? The guy in the shop said it would be ok as they don't get that stressed from water flow but that is not what I have been reading on the net... so wanted to check!

Thanks in advance! :)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that particular filter, but in general I would highly recommend a spray bar, or some other arrangement that diffuses the flow. Having plenty of plants and hiding places helps too.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Ok thanks for your help :) At the moment he seems fine with the filter, and often spends time sitting next to it so I guess he is happy enough, however, I think I will buy one just to be safe at the fish store in the next few days. I put in a bunch of plants and wood for him as well so hopefully that is reducing the flow as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!