Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

female or male fire bellied newt?

ilovenewts

Reaction score
right,
lets get down to the basic question nearly everyone askes who isnt an expert with newts, "is my newt a male or female.
there are many different ways to determine this, one is if in the same age group your female newt should be much bigger than a male newt, but often one is younger than the other, so lets look at a more technical way of telling your newts sex.

the best way - you should not hold your newt regulary but this is an exeption, pick your newt up carefully between your thumb and forefinger, dont apply too much pressure youll squish the poor thing, right back to the procedure, gently twist your hand around without harming the newt so you can see his belly, look at the vent, then at the cloaca, if there is a buldge where the rectum is placed like in the picture... and if the rectum is a hole, not slit looking, it is definetly a female,
if the opposite, it has no buldge and a slit looking rectum it is a male.

a common way would be size but as i explanded they could be of different age.

if your newt likes to stay still (unlike mine) there is an easier but not as accurate way of telling.

the easy way - get a small scale measuring tape, in MM for instance and measure your newt from 1(snout) to 2(vent) then from 2(vent) to the end of its 3(tail), measurements for example 30mm from 1 to 2, 20mm from 2 to 3 would indicate male. on a morphed newt, a females tail should be at least the same size or bigger than her body whereas the males tail is smaller than his body, i said use a measuring tape because its hard to tell with a naked eye.

the hard way - ask your pet shop assitant or whatever they call themselves, i say hard because when you see a newt in the pet shop their habitats are in such poor conditions most of the time is saddening so hard on your good will.

anyway this is my first thread i no it seems a bit complicated but have a good read and im sure youll understand it like it was written for a 4 year old.

many thanks for reading,
hope it answered your questions on newt gender
any more questions just ask.

micheal
:smile:

Attachments

• differance between male and female fire bellied newts.bmp
    188.4 KB · Views: 11,241
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!