Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy newts/salamanders online?

aberdyfy

Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for online purchasing of newts or salamanders? Preferably with reasonable shipping charges. I live in a small town with very few pet stores. Thanks!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The best place is Caudata.org classifieds The 2nd best place is email me and I'll send you a price list shrommj@ptd.net The 3rd best place is some of the other breeders on the forum. The 4th best place is Kingsnake.com amphibian classifieds Beware of the additional risk involved with wild caught animals.

Neuter

Reaction score
The BEST place would be from one of our own forum members, 126. He is a real pro when it comes to caring for newts and salamanders. He has lots of captive bred from different species, good prices and I can tell you personally he takes great care of his animals. His prices are good too. Wild caught animals are bad enviromentaly and are usually kept in pretty bad conditions, buyingn one is always a crapshoot to see if it lives or dies.

http://www.amphibianaquatics.com/

He is in south Carolina. I heartily recommend him.

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Highly recommend Micheal, Peter and the Caudata.org classified sections. We got some great people on this forum.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With such glowing reviews this thread may get moved to the testimonial section :D.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Just to make this even more of a testimonial, I recommend everyone already mentioned wholeheartedly, as well as quite a few others on this site.:D

jbherpin

Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good reviews since I joined the forum. I was a potential buyer of Mr. Schrom, and he handled my business VERY well! He was willing to answer all of my (tedious) questions, and it was many e-mail correspondances...I did not purchase in the end though. This was not a result of anything more than me not having the money available to invest in a new specimen and it's care needs. He was a true gentleman, and has many species to choose from..Most are not seen commonly on an American market!
Best of luck!

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1