hatching babies

georgecrow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,i was lucky enough to get 18 axolotl eggs which started hatching a couple of days ago until there were about 5 left to hatch last night.this morning they appeared to have emerged from their eggs but are still in the curved postion and appear to be dead .the others are all swimmimg about when disturbed but seem to like congregating on the little ledge near the bottom of the tank .i just wondered if its normal for some of them to be dead in the egg ?i have followed all the great info etc i have found on here and hopinh im doing everything ok and also the young that have hatched just wanted to check on normal behaviour please?
thanks in adavance

Are you sure they are dead? They could just be feeding off the yolk from the egg.
Axolotl babies will go white when they die and disintergrate very quickly.
If you are sure they are dead, remove them because they will encourage decomposers to move in.

Sometimes babies need help to actually get out of their egg, I wouldn't be surprised if the baby had been stuck in it's egg for too long without food and died of starvation, but I'm not completely sure.

You do get a lot of dud eggs in a batch too, but since these dead babies are in the curved position I would assume they are not duds, but died after hatching which seems to be the case from what you've said.
What have you been feeding your hatchlings?

Also, it's normal for the bubs to group together like that. Usually they press their noses together in little clutches :p

hello ,many thanks for your reply .ive put the still ones in a separate container just in case they revive,the last 2 i did open the eggs but they seem the same im afraid but just incase they are all in another little tank
my lucky 13 seem more active today i was just a little worried as they just seemed to lie on the bottom of the tank .i bought brine shrimp and daphnia but unfortunately when i set my brine shrimp up they seemed to all go into a mating frenzy and then promptly snuffed it
the daphnia seem to be thriving and there are all different sizes starting at barely visible
to bit bigger than grain of sugar size [sorry for poor description] and hoping they are ok for feeding they certainly seem to be going at something as they seem to be darting forward quite a lot
hope that sounds ago and that they will be off to a good start with my thriving daphnia?
many thanks,hazel

Daphnia are perfect for feeding, brine shrimp are good too but a little harder to culture.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back