My babies are growing up

Turbosaurus

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, here's my story. I buy these guys as eggs at an auction at the end of a fish club meeting (of which I was not a member, I was just visiting) because my friend, who is a dummie :rolleyes:, was sitting next to me and when they announce the auction.

I say "what's an axolotl?"

He says "Axolotls are a killie fish" Okay- I like killies, don't have any killies, lets get some killie eggs. $20 later I walk out with my eggs.

So the eggs start to develop and I see these little squirmy guys in their eggs sacks and I'm thinking "Killies? No way. Not even a little!" but I like baby anything, I have 11 planted fish tanks, and keep discus. How hard can it be? So off I go to find out "what IS an axolotl?" Well, the one thing I have learned is they are CUTE!

My planted tank aquascape friends are not diggin my Axie photos. Cute little axie toes; silly "hair-dos", freckles and all.. I got nada from those clowns. So I thought I would share with some people of more refined tastes:kiss:

Attachments

• oct 28, 2008 001 (Medium).jpg
    oct 28, 2008 001 (Medium).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 343
  • oct 28, 2008 002 (Medium).jpg
    oct 28, 2008 002 (Medium).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 289
  • CIMG1967 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG1967 (Medium).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 280
Ooooh, let me turn my refined gaze to these axies...;)

They all look as if they are on a mission, snuffling along the substrate.

Absolutely gorgeous!

If I may, I would recommend you remove those gravel stones as they look small enough to be easily swallowed by mistake. An ingested stone causes complications such as impaction and when the axolotl tries to pass the stone this can be fatal.

Interesting story! Axolotl are fascinating, this site has so much valuable information regarding them. Glad you like them.

They are about 9 months old if I remember correctly. I know I will have to change out the gravel one of these days. Its still too big for them to fit in their mouths, but they try and they're growing.... Which reminds me, I have to find homes for them. If anyone is in NY or NJ CT area let me know...

A friend of mine from my aquascape club said they look like a pile of raw hot dogs. :eek: Good thing they can't read. I was offended, but it is kinda funny.

Hi turbosaurus,

I love your axies! you are so lucky to have been able to witness them growing! I got my axies for my birthday. I wish I could take them all home!!

My axies are in an album and on the gallery if anyone wants to take a look and make a comment.

Chelsea

Got a new house,
they're still looking for forever homes with good axie parents.... NY/NJ/CT area

Attachments

• CIMG2017 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG2017 (Medium).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CIMG2018 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG2018 (Medium).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 190
  • CIMG2028 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG2028 (Medium).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 215
Oh my gosh I love your axies they are adorable! And what a great story :happy: I'm glad you have an open mind and decided to keep them and raise them. I find that most people don't appreciate exotic pets as much as they should (my parents and friends say "oh cool, why did you want to get those?") when the answer is clear to me "why not? they are awesome!")

It looks like you take good care of them too, so they are very lucky. Keep up the good work!!

I am trying my best but they really need more space. I can't bear to bring them to the LFS, I just can't, but at the same time I don't have room for them all.

Very nice axolotls. They look happy and healthy :)

Really cute,healthy looking axies
You could try putting an ad on this site's wanterd/offered/for sale section.

Hi,

If New York hotdogs look like axolotls it may be time for your friend to try Kebabs.

Your axolotls look great and I don't think you will have any bother finding new homes for them.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back