Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with microworms for my babies to be

melfly

Reaction score
HI
I currently have some eggs and have started getting microworms ready for them
Will also have brine shrimp ready for hatching.

The thing is i'm very new to this and have never cultured microworms before
I got some from ebay yesterday and already today they are crawlingup the sides.
Are they gonna get any bigger than they are (so so so tiny!)
I'm not sure how i'm going to feed them to my babies when they hatch.
I've seen to brush them off the side and feed them to them but they are so small i dont think i'll be able to see what i'm doing and will the babie be able to see them?

one other Q my eggs are brown does that mean the axies will all be brown?

Thanks
Mel

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Mel,

I have never bred microworms but believe me, if they wriggle, the larvae will find them. I would actually think that microworms are too large for new hatchlings - in the first few days after hatching, the axolotls are less than a centimeter in length - about 3 mm long. They grow really quickly but exactly these first few days are so critical because they need such tiny food. Even adult Daphnia and brine shrimp are too big, which is why you need them newly hatched, too.

The brown eggs will become dark axolotls, yes. Light axolotls are also light as embryos.

Isn't breeding fun?

-Eva

melfly

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies

The microworms are the tiniest things so i'll see how they go.

Blueberlin what do you use for feeding the newly hatched axies? I have got the microworms started and will have baby brine shrimp too, is there anything else i can use?

Thanks
Mel

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Mel,

I used store bought Daphnia. I do not recommend doing so yourelf because I had a lot of deaths in the first two weeks. I am 100% certain that the poor things starved. If I ever raise larvae again, I would culture brine shrimp for the first two weeks.

-Eva

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have access to a garden pond buy a fine meshed fish/shrimp net and go pond dipping. Now that the weather is milder the microscopic pond critters will be increasing. This is my preferred method of raising larvae because it's free and offers a variety of prey. Adult daphnia are normally too large for newly hatched larvae.

You can buy nets, daphnia and BBS eggs here: http://www.fishandfins.co.uk/live-aquarium-food.htm

It's important not to raise too many. Larvae need a constant supply of tiny food and the more mouths you have the more you'll struggle.

melfly

Reaction score
I have some BBS eggs ready to go closer to the hatching
I started with 30 eggs and am down to 26 already.

I have a fews friends wanting them if i successfully manage to raise them.

how long would it take for an axolotl to be fully grown?

Thanks
Mel

melfly

Reaction score
Hi Mel,

I used store bought Daphnia. I do not recommend doing so yourelf because I had a lot of deaths in the first two weeks. I am 100% certain that the poor things starved. If I ever raise larvae again, I would culture brine shrimp for the first two weeks.

-Eva

Thats my plan along with the microworms.
I thought it best to have two methods of feeding in case i have a problem with either one i'll have a backup while the problem is resolved.

Its gonna be a major panic when they are hatched!! nervous but excited too!

Mel

blueberlin

Reaction score
Its gonna be a major panic when they are hatched!! nervous but excited too!

Indeed. I had been reading here for months but didn't actually join until my eggs hatched. It is really really fascinating to raise them, though. Good luck to you!

P.S. Do let us know how the microworms work out.

-Eva

Last edited:

melfly

Reaction score
Indeed. I had been reading here for months but didn't actually join until my eggs hatched. It is really really fascinating to raise them, though. Good luck to you!

P.S. Do let us know how the microworms work out.

-Eva

Will do
Thank you so much for your help.
I'm sure i'll be back on in no time asking more questions!

Will try and get some piccys too!

Mel
x

Tappers

Reaction score
The key to Microworms is getting new cultures going - I used to set up a new one every two weeks to keep ahead of the inevitable crashes. A trip to Asda/walmart to get some oatmeal would be good as it's absurdly cheaper than ready brek. Use boiling water to make-up the culture medium to minimise the risk of mould forming and competing with the yeast that the worms feed on.

Microworms are smaller than newly hatched artemia and more easily harvested by wiping a fine paintbrush around the side of the culture container.

Using two foods is a very sensible approach and if you find the surface-swimming Artemia avoid the larvae, place a white LED or similar light low outside the tank and the nauplii will gather there at a higher density and more convenient site for the larvae to feed.

Good luck!

optimist

Reaction score
As suggested earlier in this thread, I've been straining pond water to supplement my larvae's diet, but -- a word of warning -- inspect closely before you feed it to them, as yesterday I found a newt larva in my net!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One precautionary note about micro-worms: Use them sparingly! Because they are so tiny, there's a temptation to put a whole big glob of microworms in with the larvae. However, this can quickly foul the water, and the constant movement can stress out the larvae. Use an amount that is so tiny you can barely see it. Also, as you have seen, they are very very tiny, so they are really only good for the first couple of weeks, and after that the larvae need larger fare.

melfly

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies they are greatly appreciated.

I've done all the reading but putting it into practice is another thing, so all your experience is a great help!
Thank you so much
Mel
x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1