Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamanders at pet store

RanRan

Reaction score
Fire salamanders are a terrestrial species right? From reading the Caudata culture page on them, they only need a small body of water.

So heres my problem, I saw a group of about 4-5 of them bunched up on a turtle landing/log in a aquatic set-up. Is that really okay?

toolofnin

Reaction score
No it is not ok. If i were a betting man, I would say that they were most likely kept too warm also.

RanRan

Reaction score
Man, thats so wrong.
I called them on it too, but they told me that they like it that way. So I thought I may have been mistaken, but I was right. Then I called back, and they say that it just looks 'nicer' that way.

Never go to Seattle Reptiles in Everett...

What can I do about this?
Is there any way to report it?

Last edited:

toolofnin

Reaction score
To be honest with you, there are alot of reptile stores that are not always the best with the amphibians (except dendrobates). Many times the employees are just oblivious to the needs of the individual species. I dont know if i would go as far to discredit them all together, but it may be worth while if you would "indirectly" bring up their captive requirements to the employees while visiting the stores. More of a conversation about the requirements rather than a lecture on them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A fire salamander can easily drown if unable to get out of the water...what those guys are doing is extremely stupid...
And they are most likely WC animals, which really...really bugs me. The poor things have survived importation only to be treated in an incredibly negligent way. I will never get my head around how it is possible that pet shops, generally speaking, offer such a bad service. We expect our supermarkets to know how to treat each kind of food, and do so so that we get good products, and yet, pet shops, which deal with living creatures, are closer to buying meat from the trunk of a car.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It is heartbreaking to read a post like this. Those poor animals. If they survive the pet shop, the new owners may well be misguided enough to copy them.

morg

Reaction score
I had exactly the same trhing at a pet shop here in Doncaster years ago.
The owner had them in around 4 inches of water with just a small rock in the middle which meant that the sals could just keep their heads above water level.
The small tank was also directly above a heated reptile tank so was far too warm.
I tried explaining nicely that his care was completely wrong, but to no avail.
I even printed out and took in care sheets for him to give out with the sals when he sld them, but he threw them in the bin.
I did report him for his unbelievably bad care of all his amphibians, but nothing was ever done about it.
No idea if he stiull does the same as I refuse to go into the shop now

RanRan

Reaction score
Its just so bazaar, since the shop takes good care of animal like dart frogs and turtles. Better than their other shop critters like a couple crested geckos, and worst off the salamanders are treated without proper care...

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
woow Morg, that is tones of times worst! What a disgrace... I had a similar situation were i told the store not to house bettas with pachytriton labiatus in non-covered aquariums. And also told them that they were not Cyprinus carpio but Pachytriton labiatus so they could inform the clients about o the correct species, luckily all went well. Cant imagine if it had went wrong like that. I'd have got really pissed and surely put an accusation on the pet store.
cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1