Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Chinese Fire Belly Newt Owner

Scorpion

Reaction score
Got him to eat another worm piece! Couldn't get him to eat more than one though, and they're small worms. I'll try getting him to eat again tomorrow morning. I hope that now that he's eating, he'll recover. He's not looking good. His hip bones are sticking out, and I can see his ribs. He's really skinny. Maybe it has to do with this was the first time I had a chance to feed him in the water? I've tried feeding him before, but before he never went into the water, so I had to feed him on land, and he would never eat. But yesterday, the first chance I got to feed him in the water, he ate it. It was easier to wave around in front of him too, because of the way the worm dragged through the water.

Scorpion

Reaction score
My little guy ate three worm pieces today! I'm so happy! He's been looking so emaciated, but now that his appetite's growing, maybe he'll make a recovery? I'm so hopeful for him right now.

I have a question too. Does anybody know a good method for getting rid of uneaten food waste? One that won't disturb the tank too much and doesn't take too much water out in the process? I think someone suggested I use an air tube to suck it up, but won't that take the water out too? Because I've been throwing a lot of newt pellets in his tank in the hopes that he'll eat them (before he started eating the worms), and now they're everywhere, and I really really need to get them out of there. Except now that I think about it, I suppose I could filter the food waste from the water I suck out and then pour the water back in the tank. But how would I filter it? Anyway, any help would be great!

Molch

Reaction score
an airhose or turkey baster is easiest. Why worry about sucking out some water? That's a good thing, it means you just replace it with fresh dechlorinated water and you get a water change at the same time :)

Great that your little guy is eating! Don't overfeed him too much at first; if he hasn't eaten in a long time, his system has to get going again. A couple pieces per day or so is probably best at first.

Scorpion

Reaction score
I sucked the waste out with an air tube. There's still a tiny bit of it in there, but hopefully the snails will take care of it. Also, when I took one of the hides out and was about the put it back in, I forgot that one of the snails was hiding in it, and he fell out, hit several things, and cracked his shell. I feel so bad now... I hope he'll be alright.

Scorpion

Reaction score
I have a question about the substrate I'm using. I'm using gravel, which I've heard across the forums is a problem for some species that ingest it. Is it a problem with my Chinese fire belly? Right now the gravel's too big for him to swallow, so I wasn't worried about taking it out right away and didn't want to do that in case it would stress him too much. But when he gets bigger (which I hope he will), will it turn out to be a problem? Should I get the gravel out as soon as possible, or will it probably be okay?

AngieD

Reaction score
In my experience, gravel is ok for the 5 newts we keep. I have never seen them attempt to eat gravel, and their style of eating tends to be a forward 'snapping' motion, as opposed to 'hoovering'.

How is the little guy getting along - is he still eating?

Scorpion

Reaction score
Yep. Still eating. :) He hasn't seemed to have gotten any fatter, but as long as he keeps eating, I have hope for him yet. Even if it takes a really long time, I'm sure he'll fatten up. At least I hope he will.

AngieD

Reaction score
When he's recovered he should start plumping up a little. Sounds like he hasn't got thinner, which can't be bad. How is his bad leg getting along?

Scorpion

Reaction score
Eh, about the same. Hasn't gotten better, but hasn't gotten worse it seems. I don't know if he still has an infection. I don't think so, but I'm not completely sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1