Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siphonops annulatus

B

benjamin

Has any body ever seen this animal on the market? I have a picture of one in a book, does any body in the forum have pictures of animal? I think it's probably the most beautiful caecillian around (possibly one of the most beautiful amphibians). Aparently it lays its eggs on land.

K

kaysie

Very few caecilians legally make it to market due to the exportation laws of south/central america.

M

mark

Siphonops annulatus used to be a popular export species but as far as I know they have not been imported into the U.S. recently...not sure about the UK.

Kaysie is right - due to many South American country's laws caecilians from that region are rarely if ever exported (with the exception of T natans) and if available they are most likely illegal.

K

kaysie

Reading a post EdK just made, T.natans aren't imported into the US any more either. I'm not sure how this goes with receiving captive bred offspring of grandfathered/legal adults. Ask Expert Ed

E

edward

Well I won't say that they do not come in as they come in, in small numbers hidden in fish shipments. As far as I know there are no legal adults in the private sector as they would have had to have been brought in on a permit specifically listing them. As I understand it (I could be wrong) there are no grandfathered animals as they have not been legal to export for more than 30 years and the person would need to be able to document this as well as any reproductions.

Dermophis mexicana are being brought into the country in small numbers legally.

Now this is an attractive caecilian.
http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=523635,523638

Ed

B

benjamin

The reason why I like S. annulatus is its bright blue coloration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1