Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can they be Illegal?

D

david

I was at the wholesalers today getting fish for the shop. They had T. Natans by the hundreds available. I have kept them before, and I have to many animals going now so I didn't get them but how do they get so many if they are illegal?

E

edward

Because they are listed as a species of eel on the export permits and the import permits and the people at USF@W have not caught on to the listing again.. Colombia does not allow the export of vertebrate other than fish with only a couple of exceptions, farmed boas and iguanas. They are being illegly exported as fish and as such are illegal.
Ed

E

edward

Hi John,
The last time the crackdown occured was because a west coast caecilian researcher pointed out the violation to USF&W (after aquiring specimens for her lab from an online source).
As they are not threatened or endangered and a few years ago, there was even a note in froglog about thier population actually expanding due to the practice of fishing villages dumping the fish guts into the water and providing an additional food source.
I don't know if anyone has notified them as of yet but I heard that they are currently helping USDA try and tgrack down some Giant African Land Snails that were illegally imported (Listed as an injurioius plant pest).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1