Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My T natans

P

paris

ive got a pair-just moved them to a new tank recently-and pushed up the heat since im told 82 is good, im ranging 80-82. as most people who keep caecilians know-they are hard to photograph, its not in their nature to sit still, and sometimes the only time you see them is feeding time. so i decided that while the set up was new and clear (not a scratched tank too) i'd get some photos. here is what you typically see-represented by the typically bad photo....
29469.jpg

here are some ok shots, first two are of my female for a brief time while she was 'sitting' still
29470.jpg

29471.jpg

few people appreciate these animals as they look nondescript and they wonder what attracts some to them. here is the answer for me, these are some photos of them eating-showing the mouths the best i could. i am amazed at how an animal that looks like a worm could open its mouth and look more like a shark. although they dont have as many teeth as shark-the bite and size of teeth are quite impressive. also impressive is the way they can get the food item down so fast!
29472.jpg

29473.jpg

29474.jpg

29475.jpg

P

paris

nah-its krill, i was able to get it cheap when bought in bulk, these guys seem to eat just about anything.

E

edward

They will eat anything if it is dead. I have had them consune red eye tree frogs that died overnight and fell into the water. The caecilians will strip the flesh from the skeleton. (I even had them eating a rat that the emerald tree boa dropped into the tank before I could remove it).
With larger prey items they grab a mouthful and roll to shear off bite sized pieces.

Ed

G

greg

Where did you get them Paris? Has the whole "those aren't fish" problem with import been resolved?

P

paris

nah-
check out mikes 'transients' post-another batch just made it into the USA.

G

greg

hmm.. I need to hang out at more LFS's then.

oy... my credit card is hurting.

greg

G

giuseppe

very nice Typhonectes but i have a question, why you don't use any substrate ? I think that to my T. natans sometimes like to enter in the sand (do you understand ? my terrible english... ;) )
Have you some shelter ? I use the big bamboo and many many plants for example.
Bye
giuseppe

J

joshua

Paris if you'd like to trigger their feeding response really quickly and get them feeding on pellets really quick I was using ReptoTreat Suprema krill enriched food sticks, they smell it almost as soon as it hits the water, and want it. I used a couple pieces to tell them it was feeding time.

P

paris

these guys go gaga for chopped euro night crawlers the best - sends em into fits! i am amazed how gentile they are with each other compared to newts-especially as they have such big sharp teeth! occasionally they will grab onto each other instead of the worm but they quickly release w/o breaking skin most times. this is puzzling to me cause i am told that they are cannibalistic to their babies.

giuseppe-
i like the bare bottoms so they can access food and its fully eaten. the tree like structure in the top photo is hollow and they have set up shop there, its got an open top and they both live in it-thus elevated from the bottom and going to the surface for air is just a stretch from their sleeping position.

P

pamela

You're right Paris, I appreciate them more after seeing their "maws". I like the last pic, looks like a sock puppet!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!