Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First N. kaiseri breeding attempt

Linus

Reaction score
No females came into breeding condition for me so far this year. Males are tail-fanning like crazy. Ah, life. :rolleyes:

Anyone getting eggs?

Reaction score
Re: First failed breeding attempt

The following message is from Jackson:

"Sorry Linus. I haven't gotten eggs yet either. Though both sexes are in condition and interested in each other/ tail fanning, I just don't know if i'll get eggs this time around. Next year will be a good year for both of us regardless!
In a last ditch effort for mine to breed i'm going to bring them in to warmer temps after the next cold spike or two I have down here. It's been a really warm winter.....of all years. Life eh? ;)
I have to speak through thomas here.....one of my few loyalists remaining. ha."

Linus

Reaction score

I guess that was a bit cliquey of me to assume people would know what species, apologies.

Jackson! Good to know I'm not alone in my failure! Odd thing with my group is that I clearly have 3 males, but 3 look like they haven't even reached maturity at all yet even though they are very close in size to the mature individuals. I placed them terrestrially for about 3 months, kept at about 50-55F.. then offered water slowly. They're all aquatic now. The whole group is on the young side, so I have no doubt we'll succeed next year. Thomas and Alex, thanks for getting Jackson's message to me :D

Can a mod please re-name the thread to: First failed Kaiseri breeding
and delete the third and fourth posts to clean the thread up?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

My thoughts exactly. Next thing you know, the forum will be full of "BP" keepers who assume that everyone knows that species they're talking about when they mention their "caramel"! ;)

I know it´s a joke but still it makes my skin crawl.....brrrrrlllll.......

Linus, isn´t it a bit early in the season to despair? Males usually go into breeding mode right away, but females tend to take a bit more time to get ready and in fact may delay laying quite a bit.

Linus

Reaction score

well I have 3 clearly visibile males, and the other 3 don't show any signs of maturity whatsoever, even though they are of comparable size and have adult coloration.

Linus

Reaction score

Ended up running into Johhny, we swapped a male for female. I think the female was fertilized by the time she hit the floor of the tank ;

IMG_20120311_210551.jpg

Can you see it?

Jeff305

Reaction score
Re: First failed N. kaiseri breeding attempt

This is super cool I'm in the market for some of these and plan on starting a breeding project with them. If anyone has any for sale I'm definitely interested in purchasing them. Also if you guys have any tips in the set up or enclosure's I would greatly appreciate it. Photo's of the tanks would be great! Also do you guys keep them terrestrial mostly until breeding time or mostly aquatic?

Thanks!

daedae

Reaction score

Rad! I love these newts, gorgeous creatures! Keep this updated, I'd love to see them grow up!

otolith

Reaction score

Congrats! How many larva do you have so far?

Linus

Reaction score

I'll keep updating! I have about 50 strong larvae. They've been very easy to raise, I had a few losses early on which hatched quite prematurely (I think I was rough with the basting) but 100% of the larvae that made it to gills are now forming back legs.

jane1187

Reaction score
Your juveniles look lovely. Assuming you still have about 50 that means you have something like 0.5 to 1% of the whole world population in your house! Staggering isn't it?

Keep up the good work!

Linus

Reaction score
Haha, I think their captive numbers have gone up exponentially over the past few years. Still proud to cater to this species! Can't wait to do it all again next year.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!