Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

We have our first batch of eggs!!!

Jade x

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my axolotl has layed her first batch of eggs 2 days ago! Around 150 I have counted! Bless her she did well! Just wanted some pointers as its my first batch to. Iv got them in a medium sized container with an air stone on the go, not too powerful though. Just a few questions really...
-how long to hatch? i know it depends on temperature
-mortality rate?
-how much to feed them when born?
Just some pointers on how to get it right, would like to be a good mummy!:happy:
Thankyouu!!!

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Direct Quotes from Axolotls - Breeding Axolotls Successfully and Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

"Assuming the eggs are fertile, the majority of the eggs should hatch if kept in well-aerated water. An air pump and air stone at one end of the tank will be helpful, just be sure it doesn't cause vigorous water flow. At 20 °C (68 °F) the eggs should hatch after about 17 days. Have a look at the Embryo Series Photo Log for a daily photographic account of the development of some white eggs."

"Newly hatched axolotl larvae can vary in size from 10-13 mm (roughly 0.5 inch). On hatching, they will still possess some egg yolk in their stomachs (the white substance that should be quite visible to the naked eye). Until this is used up they will be motionless and won't require food."

Within 24-72 hours after hatching, they will require food. From this point until they reach approximately 20 mm in length (a little under an inch), their diet must consist solely of live food items of a very small size. They will ignore dead food until they have grown significantly.
"As explained earlier, at this stage the larvae usually won't eat because they're still absorbing the yolk from their eggs. You should be ready with your chosen first food. I normally have some Daphnia in the tank a few days before hatching in order to have lots of little tiny young Daphnia present when needed. The larvae can get air bubbles in their stomachs if not fed early enough, but these will be expelled once they start to feed.

jojo9380

Reaction score
Congrats, but what on earth will you do with that many Axolotls?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1