Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Anyone ever seen this

flockreptiles

Reaction score
This is a picture of my sisters male axolotl. He has some white stuff coming out. IT is some sort of sperm that got stuck or what? Has anyone seen anything like that before? It has been like that for a few months. Just look at the pics and tell me what you think. Sorry they are so bad but I didnt take them my sister did. I will put all the blame on her.

Attachments

• Axolotl1.jpg
    Axolotl1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 554
  • Axolotl2.jpg
    Axolotl2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 397

digger

Reaction score
I am not trying to be a scare monger but I would keep a close eye on that,
i could be wrong and it maybe nothing, but from what i can see it looks suspiciously like something internal. I lost a rescue axolotl when it pushed its bowels and intestines out due to malnutrition, others have lost them to impaction.If it has been on gravel at anytime it could have swallowed some and this could be the problem.
Tell her to make sure there is nothing in the tank that can be swallowed other than food and this will limit the risk of it pushing anything out that it shouldnt.
I hope all remains well and i am sorry if i have caused needless worry but i can only comment on what i can see.
Hopefully someone else will come up with a differant opinion and her axolotl stays healthy a long time

flockreptiles

Reaction score
Dont worry you are not being a "scare monster". I just really have no idea what it is and I am trying to get some ideas of what i could be so i can get it taken care of. I am getting ready to go down to her place here soon so I can take the Axolotl home with me to take care of it. I am fairly new to amphibians. I have kept axolotls before for a short time I just never had nothing like that happen. That is actually one of my axolotls I gave to her because she wanted one. (she raised it up for a larva). She does not have anything at all in the tanks so it cant eat anything. I wonder if it might be lack of nutrition. She is a college girl so I think the care gets a little relaxed at times and she dosn't like to tell me about this stuff because I am really picky about the care of my animals and I get on to her. Your answer does help and gives me some ideas. I will keep you posted on how it does.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
It certainly looks to me like it is trying to pass something larger then it should be. Just a thought but could it be some sort of growth?

Cake

Reaction score
I lost a rescue axolotl when it pushed its bowels and intestines out due to malnutrition, others have lost them to impaction.If it has been on gravel at anytime it could have swallowed some and this could be the problem.

I really does look like it could be a prolapse (or onset of one) Although you said the axolotl has had this for months...? What has it had to eat in the time it's looked like this? Here is an archived thread from this forum that might be useful:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-43772.html

If you could explain any observations (like if it's getting larger) or other symptoms or stress and perhaps get more photos. It would probably help the people who are familiar with this kind of thing here. I know you don't have it in your care (or do you now?) so it may be hard to give information on it's behaviour.

flockreptiles

Reaction score
I talked to my sister about how she is keeping him (I dont make alot of trips down to her place to see for my self) One thing I noticed is she is keeping the water to warm. She says she has him in tank above her TV on her entertainment center. I had her take the tank and sit in on a floor where it is cooler and she is going to make a drip system with ice to help get the temps of the water down. Maybe it is a onset of a prolapse. Also she told me that the cage is to small for him so she is moving him to a bigger plastic container for now so he has a little more room to move. So maybe these changes will help. I will keep everyone up to date on how it is doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!