Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Toxic water?

kimo

Reaction score
Hi guys May I ask some advice please?

Ive had my axi for about a month now. Ive started doing water tests & found the lvs of ammonia, nitrate & nitrite are getting on the high side.
The gent in the aquatics shop said to do small water changes everyday. so I did. I noticed the levels drop but not in the ammonia.
My partner (who keeps fish) suggested that the water changes might be taking alot of the good bacteria out the water & so the filter wont be working well. He suggested doing small water changes but taking the water from my coldwater fish tank (ive had it running for 2 years with not a single problem) In an attempt to add more bacteria.
Ive only added the fish tank water after i did a water change on the fish & left it for a day so its not as if im putting very dirty water in the tank.
Will my levels drop & what sort of levels are toxic to my axi????

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 373
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 235
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 251

Olivia97

Reaction score
The nitrate suggests that your tank is finished cycling, but the ammonia at 8.00ppm, are your axies in the tank? If they are i would get them out now before the they suffer. Nitrite isn't far off 0 so i wouldn't overly stress. How long have you been cycling?

kimo

Reaction score
Its been cycling for about 6 weeks. the axi have been in a month. I just cant figure out how to get the ammonia down.

Olivia97

Reaction score
I would remove your axolotl before it suffers ammonia burns. Stop adding tank water from your other tank and keep up with the changes, it won't remove the bacteria as they are mostly within the filter media. Just a question what dechlorinator are you using?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of dechlorinator are you using? Have you tested your tap water to get a baseline reading?

Beneficial bacteria live on the surfaces in the tank, not in the water. Water changes won't affect the amount of bacteria in your tank. Any ammonia levels over 1.0ppm can be toxic to axolotls.

kimo

Reaction score
i use tetra aquasafe. Ive tested the water before putting it in the tank and its fine. ive got waterlife bacterlife in a hope of boosting things & getting rid of the ammonia

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you've purchased refrigerated bottled bacteria, you're wasting your money. Bottles of bacteria that are stored on the shelf are dead, and you're just adding them, and their waste products (ammonia!) to your tank.

Since you have an established fish tank, the best way to seed your axolotl tank is to take a big handful of substrate out of your fish tank, tie it into a stocking, and put it in your axolotl tank.

kimo

Reaction score
If these bottled things advertising they eat ammonia etc are dead bacteria then what do you use it for? & why do they sell it?
I will just have to keep changing the water everyday & hope things calm down

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You don't use it for anything; it's a waste of your money. They sell it because people will buy it. Think of it like this: even if the bacteria were alive when they were bottled, they've sat on the shelf, sealed up, with no oxygen and no food for who knows how long.

There are a few refrigerated products that are effective. The refrigeration puts the bacteria in a state of 'hibernation' (for lack of a better term) until they're added to the tank. These products have a very short shelf-life, and must be refrigerated at all times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1